What is your system costing in Electricity Per Month?

TheClark

I got about $320 or more under my belt each month on electricity!... Way too much I would say, but I dont feel like I am your average reefer. My water bill is also very high, about another $200 a month.... And then there is the gas heating, as I hear the house not the aquariums.

• Like 2

I just logged into my PortlandGeneral.com account and was able to see my payment history dating back to December 2016.  Since I only started reefing in April 2018, I was able to see pre- and post-reefing utility bills.  It looks like I'm spending about $60 per month more since I started my tank.  I only have a single 110g system, plus I heat my 75g saltwater mixing tank.  I keep my house temperature at about 70 and my tank at 78.

• Like 1

Wow.  Much smaller setup, but guess I'd better not upgrade.  I'm averaging $37/month.  I have a Red Sea Reefer 450, with 3 AI Hydra HD 26's.  Normal stuff - skimmer, reactor, 2x gyre's. Keep the house temp at 68/day, 65/night. 

Edited by shaywood
  • Like 1

Sense.com says my 'always on' electricity costs are higher than 98% of other WA sense customers.

image.png

So I added some Kasa smart plugs to all 4 EB8s, to see how bad the reef tanks were.  For what I am tracking, looks like about 60 per month.  

The biggest bill contributors are the heat pump compressor.  Hot water heater used to be number 2, but we changed that over to a hybrid hot water heater.  Man was that thing heavy to lug in.

Now it is heat pump compressor, servers, reef, hot water heater.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 1:00 PM, TheClark said:

Looks like I am pushing $60 a month in electricity.  Honestly that feels pretty good for 450 gallons.  

So that comes out to what?  720 per year?   I should probably sell a few frags now and then to at least break even!  :D

That seems really good for the water volume! I'm about $30 per month down here in Albany, OR with only about 90 gallons. How much is electricity up there? It's about $0.11 per kilowatt here.

38 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

That seems really good for the water volume! I'm about $30 per month down here in Albany, OR with only about 90 gallons. How much is electricity up there? It's about $0.11 per kilowatt here.

7.2 here, quite good rates!

• Like 1