Dave's attempt to increase BioDiversity - AquaBiomics

obrien.david.j

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

It's been approximately 6 months since my last purposeful Diversity Addition.   I decided yesterday it was time to pull the trigger on re-testing.   Heads Up @EMeyer, Samples are In the Mail to you.

Since this started,  somethings have changed in my setup, some things have not.

• Main display tank is unchanged
  • Equipment room remodeled  (see separate thread)
    • Bigger sump, and two new ~50 gallon frag tanks added into system
    • Mixing station completed, and AutoWater changes of 2.4 gallons running daily  (9000ml)
  • New Frags added, but no bigger bio additions.  No Rocks, no more "used water" additions.  No Bio-Additives
  • No Medications
  • Increase Additions:  Daily 3ml of Amino acid.  Weekly additions of Brightwell Restor.  Manual increases of NO3 and PO4
  • Generally a heavy feeder.   6-8 cubes of food (or equiv) per day, plus Reef Roids (or equiv) every other day

Time to find out if my Bio Diversity has changed.

Will be keeping an eye on this as well.  Have been pondering the biodiversity question while struggling with my tank.  Picked up some additions from SuncrestReef a while back so want to give things a bit more time to equilibrate and recover from the rusted out return pump fiasco before retesting. 

• 1 year later...

I'm always down to do a trade for the sake of boosting biodiversity, however my tanks are all under a yr old, I mainly used dry rock and used the live bottled stuff,dr tims,turbo,and the 700 strain? I've also used the live rock enhancer powder and that stuff actually has alot of life in it so that might help also.im in Vancouver wa. But id love to buy a brick and switch them out with others to get different diversity. 

On 9/28/2021 at 9:56 PM, jtichenor said:

Curious about the test results from this thread. What were they??

Thanks for asking.   I got a Bio test last summer, and I'll work up a side by side compare and post a little later.

BUT...   I then upgraded the whole display setup, new dry rock new dry sand, but was still connected to frag tanks with original rock in it.  Since have fought multiple rounds of uglies/etc...   I suspect my bio has done a big shift again.