Control systems?

Spschampion

Hi, in an effort to maintain the highest water quality possible, I would like to add a control system to my SPS dominant system. However, I am suffering from sticker shock from the APEX system cost. Is there another more budget friendly system that is reliable?I do HVAC controls for a living. So, I am not a big fan of web based controls. Second question, I recently increased the flow in my aquarium considerably. I’m running two ice cap gyres 3k each in random mode on each side of the tank. My tank is a five foot long 100 gallon system. I also increased the the return pump size to flow about 1600 gallons per hour. I’ve noticed that over the last few weeks many of my acropora have lightened in color considerably  with less polyp extension. Nutrients, alkalinity and light are all the same as they’ve been for quite sometime. I have positioned the gyres and return lines to not directly hit any coral with flow. Any ideas why that might be? Thanx for the help! Pete

I've just gotten started with reef-pi and reasonably happy so far, though I wish I'd built a real enclosure first...that's on my todo list; I recommend you start with a good box you can mount all the boards in (pi+hat, power supply and 12v converter thing, other misc side boards like for dosing/pH interface. Definitely give a look to Ranthelion's store on tindie, he's got a lot of the more interesting pieces you need and can't just buy on amazon/ebay.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Spschampion said:

Thanx, the reef pi system looks cool! I love DIY. Might be fun to give it a try

If you want to do a little light reading, there's a Reef-pi thread on Reef2Reef with over 12,000 messages:  https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-pi-an-opensource-reef-tank-controller-based-on-raspberry-pi.289256/

1 hour ago, SuncrestReef said:

The Apex and GHL ProfiLux are the two dominant products, and priced similarly.  CoralVue’s Hydros is a new product recently announced that looks promising, but not available yet.  If you’re into DIY and are tech savvy, you might like ReefPi since it’s dirt cheap.

John is the Hydros a complete control sustem or just for controlling all pumps?

8 minutes ago, The ReefBox said:

John is the Hydros a complete control sustem or just for controlling all pumps?

Hyrdos is a line of products.  The Hydros WaveEngine is available now and allows you to control a variety of pumps. Sometime early 2020 they will release additional Hydros products that all work together, similar to Apex modules, except each Hydros product is its own self-contained controller so there is no central "brain" like the Apex.

See: https://mailchi.mp/coralvue/hydros-control-announcement

I have gone the reefpi route a few times since the project started. It's cheaper then the apex but still adds up once you add all the stuff up. Plus it does not look as well put together if that's your look.  I like the DIY look as I have a [language filter] ton of other self hosted and diy projects. 

My first reef pi build crapped out when the pi lost control of the ethernet/USB bus and the gpio. I also had issues with updates and my breadbord with my sensors went out and I had to make a new one. 

That said, if you are willing to tinker and risk the controller being down, Reef pi is probably your best route. However, since it's still in development, if you need 100% reliability, I would go with apex. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

My bread board got moldy. I'm all about DIY but being a kid in the 80's I have DOS prompt issues..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Haha... these discussions make me feel old.  Used to build my own computers from parts and I always think the Reef-pi route sounds super cool but then I realize I don't even have time to clean the glass on my tank so snap out of it.  Wish I had the bandwidth to play with one of these (while my off the shelf controller kept the tank running).

• Like 3

Yeah, might just hold out and save to go Apex. I hate loosing livestock and it gets pricey fast. I need to go the bulletproof route. I noticed today some burnt tips on my acropora. Checked alkalinity and from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm. I have a half a DKH drop. I increased the dosing frequency and  quantity. Alkalinity stays pretty constant during the night. I’m assuming this is due to the fact that there isn’t any photosynthesis happening at night?

23 minutes ago, Spschampion said:

Yeah, might just hold out and save to go Apex. I hate loosing livestock and it gets pricey fast. I need to go the bulletproof route. I noticed today some burnt tips on my acropora. Checked alkalinity and from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm. I have a half a DKH drop. I increased the dosing frequency and  quantity. Alkalinity stays pretty constant during the night. I’m assuming this is due to the fact that there isn’t any photosynthesis happening at night?

Yes, the alk consumption correlates to the photo period.  Earlier this year I posted this graph shortly after I got my Trident. In the past I always tested alk each morning at 9am.  If you only look at the Trident's daily 9am readings (in red), it looks like things are pretty stable.  But when you factor in the additional daily tests, you see how much fluctuation actually exists:

Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 9.53.10 AM.png

To compensate, I now dose my 2-part in different amounts during the day vs. night, and my alk now remains within a 0.10 dKH swing.

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 2.00.31 PM.png

See my Trident thread for more details.

When I someday get a large tank i fully intend to go the full on apex route, trident, auto dosing, auto water change etc (Unless reef-pi catches up to all that stuff before then lol). I didn't intend to build a reef-pi to save money, no matter how much we say it will save money, in this hobby it never does. I just stumbled on the thread on reef2reef and it interested me, so I jumped in and built one. It has been a cool learning experience so far, having a 3D printer helps. I have now built two with equipment control, temperature monitoring and have the stuff to build a third.

reefpi1.jpg

reefpi2.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...