Car Tune-up or Armed Robbery

Chief

I just got a quote to do a full tune-up, timing belt change, water pump change, Pulleys, and belts.

$1800.00

I think I'm going to be sick. I found another mechanic that will do it for about $1000.00, but I don't know if he will be as good. The first quote was from a Mitsubishi Master Mechanic. Decisions, decisions. I am going to talk to the local mechanic ( lower quote ) to see if he knows what he is doing. I feel violated.

Jay

Hey I dont know if Mitsubishis are built the same way anymore but I think you pretty much have to remove the head to do a basic tune-up! Not sure though. I remember my cousin who had one saying somehting like that. Later Ryan

Hey I dont know if Mitsubishis are built the same way anymore but I think you pretty much have to remove the head to do a basic tune-up! Not sure though. I remember my cousin who had one saying somehting like that. Later Ryan
Yeah, I remember some "guy speak" about removing engine manifolds to get to a couple spark plugs. Then the timing belt is such a pain to get to, they recommend replacing the water pump while you're there so you don't have to subject yourself to the misery again.

I love the car, but DANG!

Stacy

I would find out what your "Full tune up" Is from each guy. If it includes a valve check and adjustment and any other services. If its just a timing chain belts, pulleys and water pump I cannot Imagine it running that much, your talking $300 in parts max., some people remove heads to get to plugs but most the time if you have the right tool you can get at them, just takes the right specialty tool (most the time).

Also if they are trying to get you to do a valve adjustment I wouldn't do it, that motor sounds and runs fine. most late models cars don't need them checked till over 100,000 miles and 90% of poeple never check them.

Good luck