Planning a rodi, mixing station, and sump over hardwood floors. How to protect them?

GreenJeans

I'll be installing a sump in a bedroom closet, on the other side of the wall from the tank. I also plan to plumb a kit sink as a water source and drain. What's the best way to protect my floors long term?

Put everything on stands so I can clean spills underneath? Some sort of rubber mats? I'm thinking like those all-weather trays in SUV trunks...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I'd recommend retaining airflow and enough space to get your hand under a stand to wipe it up. Any attempt to seal it will trap moisture and cause cupping or mildew. I see it all the time on hardwood that has vinyl over it in areas where a dishwasher or toilet has leaked and it doesn't take a lot of moisture.

Personally I'd put a small fan down to help any excess moisture wick out.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Oasisreefling said:

I'd recommend retaining airflow and enough space to get your hand under a stand to wipe it up. Any attempt to seal it will trap moisture and cause cupping or mildew. I see it all the time on hardwood that has vinyl over it in areas where a dishwasher or toilet has leaked and it doesn't take a lot of moisture.

Personally I'd put a small fan down to help any excess moisture wick out.

This is exactly what I plan to do.  Keep things on stands, leave just enough room to get a towel under there if I have to, and keep good air flow.

• Like 1

Use a tray with a leak detector in it. Any saltwater on the wood even for a short time is bad news. You can still use stands inside the tray if you want.
A fan to keep moisture down will be helpful to the entire closet.
I worry that, even with a large tray, a spill will happen outside of it and moisture will get wicked under and trapped

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk