Stupid red bugs ruining my photos

SuncrestReef

3 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Just a nice bit of biodiversity there 😁  Glad you aren't seeing any negative impact on the coral.  How are the dragon pipefish doing?

Unfortunately I lost one pipefish in June to unknown causes, and the other one died in August after getting trapped in the overflow valve.  After that I got a mandarin goby since I had plenty of pods with no predators, but the mandarin doesn't seem interested in the red bugs.  To be honest, I think the pipefish fed primarily on other pods and rarely ate the red bugs.

• Like 1

If you need Interceptors to treat red bugs, I have some.  However, the treatment will kill off your shrimps, pods, and crabs.  If the initial dose doesn't kill off the shrimps, they don't make it after the next molt.  When I had red bugs, I notice very little SPS growth.  If you're still getting good color and good SPS growth, then maybe it's not worth killing off most of the pods with Interceptor.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, danlu_gt said:

If you need Interceptors to treat red bugs, I have some.  However, the treatment will kill off your shrimps, pods, and crabs.  If the initial dose doesn't kill off the shrimps, they don't make it after the next molt.  When I had red bugs, I notice very little SPS growth.  If you're still getting good color and good SPS growth, then maybe it's not worth killing off most of the pods with Interceptor.

Yes, I’m fully aware of Interceptor as an effective treatment and the harm to shrimp & crabs.  Because I’d need to tear apart my whole aquascape to get to my pistol shrimp, I decided long ago to just live with the red bugs.  My corals have been doing fine with them for almost a year now, so I’m not concerned.  Just annoyed at them photo bombing my macro shots.

Yes, I’m fully aware of Interceptor as an effective treatment and the harm to shrimp & crabs.  Because I’d need to tear apart my whole aquascape to get to my pistol shrimp, I decided long ago to just live with the red bugs.  My corals have been doing fine with them for almost a year now, so I’m not concerned.  Just annoyed at them photo bombing my macro shots.
If the red bugs move alot, you can try photo stacking to auto remove red bugs. ;-)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

It will multiply to the point will irritate sps.

I have never had any issue with the treatment killing crustacean or pod. I do interceptor treatment once every quarter regardless I have red bugs or not.

1 (One) 50lbs Dog Tablet for 300gal system, crushed to a powder, mix with tank water is a container till dissolve then 24-36hrs left in the system, skimmer and carbon filtration off.

Do water change 20-30% or none at all no issue, turn on skimmer and carbon filtration back on after 24-36 hrs

• Like 4

14 hours ago, goldenbasketreef said:

I have never had any issue with the treatment killing crustacean or pod. I do interceptor treatment once every quarter regardless I have red bugs or not.

1 (One) 50lbs Dog Tablet for 300gal system, crushed to a powder, mix with tank water is a container till dissolve then 24-36hrs left in the system, skimmer and carbon filtration off.

Do water change 20-30% or none at all no issue, turn on skimmer and carbon filtration back on after 24-36 hrs

Rudy thanks for all of your knowledge and help here on our forum, I appreciate you and all you do to help out.

15 hours ago, goldenbasketreef said:

This is really good info to have.  Thanks for sharing Rudy!