Very Large Sebae Anemone - $80

EMeyer

I've had this guy in my tank for several years. Hes gotten very large, I'd estimate 6-8" fully open. It was sold as Heteractis crispa and appears to match the descriptions. The base color is purpleish, with distinct purple-blue tentacle tips. A big beautiful specimen. 

I was attached to him because he's the only anemone my clownfish ever paired up with. If only he was as kind to other fish. I've come to a point I have to admit to myself that he has developed an appetite for fish that are not smart enough to avoid him. 

I'll add a pic when the lights come on tomorrow, but he's got to go! Anybody got a clownfish tank or otherwise safe home for a big Sebae?

sebae 1.jpg

sebae tentacles.jpg

sebae 2.jpg

Edited by EMeyer

Yeah, it was a 3 or 4 year old tang that broke the camels back for me too. The anemone couldnt even eat him, he spit him out.

I blame Nemo, really. Isnt he supposed to be territorial about this thing? Some symbiotic partner he turns out to be. 

Or maybe thats wrong, maybe hes actually being a great wingman and helping his partner get a meal by leaving him alone for a while. 

In any case, he gotta go! I'd also consider trades for an equally pretty but less aggressive anemone.

My RBTA ate a couple my $$$ fire shrimps.  After that, I usually keep a very minimal moon light on all the time.  That seems to help shrimp from getting eaten by the nems.  I don't know if that trick will work on fishes or not.  I haven't lost any fish to my RBTA.

Thats an interesting thought. I've always been adamant that since nighttime in the ocean is pitch black, it should be in our tanks too. But perhaps a nightlight is needed to account for the fact that everybody's crammed together in a little box.

On 10/8/2019 at 4:14 PM, EMeyer said:

Thats an interesting thought. I've always been adamant that since nighttime in the ocean is pitch black, it should be in our tanks too. But perhaps a nightlight is needed to account for the fact that everybody's crammed together in a little box.

For one, moonlight lights the ocean to an extent, for another, these animals wouldn’t be packed so close to an anemone in the wild. Nonetheless, congrats on the sale :)