Float valve recommendation's?

MorseReef

Hello Reefers,

I just had my protein skimmer overflow suddenly the other day.  I am looking to add a float valve to a breakout box to my apex to control the skimmer.  I looked at the below uxcell one on amazon but it has mixed reviews about reliability. 

Does anyone have any recommendations on reliable float valves?

uxcell float valve.jpg

The problem with float switches inside a skimmer is that they can easily get gummed up with skimmate.

While this is more expensive, I absolutely love my Avast Marine skimmate locker.  It has a built in pressure switch that shuts off the skimmer when full, and a large enough volume that it only needs to be emptied every couple weeks.

https://avastmarine.com/products/djsl

I am/have used those floats before. They work great till they dont and there is no warning. Luckily, I use them for ATO only so when they fail, its off and then my return lets me know by sucking air. I have started moving to the optical ones by DF Robot https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0795QJML2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I dont have an apex so I am not sure how to connect them but if you can wire a float I bet you can wire this. There are no mechanical parts to fail.

9 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

The problem with float switches inside a skimmer is that they can easily get gummed up with skimmate.

While this is more expensive, I absolutely love my Avast Marine skimmate locker.  It has a built in pressure switch that shuts off the skimmer when full, and a large enough volume that it only needs to be emptied every couple weeks.

https://avastmarine.com/products/djsl

I love my skimmate locker also.

• Like 1

Bicycle bill points out a good website for those.  You however don't need the realys and what not because your apex will control it. 

My only recommendation is to crimp a pair of bullet connectors on the float switch wires, that way when you take your lid off to wash it in the sink you can just easily disconnect and reconnect the float switch. 

If you buy a break out box you can make DIY leak detectors as well.  Just run two wires to floor, strip of an inch or so of the wire insulation off and tape them to the floor about 1/2" apart.   

You can also make a simple button switch to start feed mode with a break out box.  

Edited by pdxmonkeyboy
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Bicycle bill points out a good website for those.  You however don't need the realys and what not because your apex will control it. 

My only recommendation is to crimp a pair of bullet connectors on the float switch wires, that way when you take your lid off to wash it in the sink you can just easily disconnect and reconnect the float switch. 

If you buy a break out box you can make DIY leak detectors as well.  Just run two wires to floor, strip of an inch or so of the wire insulation off and tape them to the floor about 1/2" apart.   

You can also make a simple button switch to start feed mode with a break out box.  

Very nice suggestions.  I was thinking about the lid and how to make it removable.  I did not want to leave it in there and not wash it. 

I do have a breakout box in the garage I just need to get in under the tank and hooked up.  The switch for feed mode would also be great for the wife so she does not have to open fusion to feed. 

These are awesome btw! I happen to have my setup from Brian already wired up, and didn’t realize how important the ability unplug the cap was until I used it. Brilliant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk