August pics from SuncrestReef's meeting & BBQ

SuncrestReef

We had a great turnout for the meeting at my house in August.  The weather was perfect for a BBQ, and it was great to see so many friendly faces.  @lewisriverfisherman was kind enough to snap some photos while I was busy grilling and giving tours of my aquarium setup.

20190824_143753.jpg

I had been stressing for weeks hoping that nothing went wrong with my tank before the meeting, but luckily everything looked healthy and happy on the big day.  

20190824_143721.jpg

I even caught that look saying "Why doesn't our tank look this cool???" 🤣

20190824001648_IMG_1404.jpg

The tank definitely sparked a lot of discussion on different ways to achieve success.

20190824002253_IMG_1408.jpg

Meanwhile, @Optimusprime3605 just stared for hours on end thinking, "How the h*ll did he fit all this stuff in the sump???"

20190824001610_IMG_1402.jpg

@Flashy Fins was waiting until nobody was looking so she could feed some Doritos to my clownfish.

20190824002623_IMG_1410.jpg

With everyone distracted by the aquarium, I was busy at the grill trying to do my best to make up for missing @badxgillen due to his foot injury.  Thankfully I didn't catch the deck on fire or overcook the meat.

20190824004919_IMG_1419.jpg

It was quite a feast with all the delicious side dishes people brought over.

20190824_145134.jpg

I'm not sure what @pdxmonkeyboy was trying to convince @albertareef of, but Sean clearly wasn't buying it.

20190824_143625.jpg

20190824012928_IMG_1425.jpg

Once I finished up at the grill, I gave some tours of my garage mixing station to a fixated audience.  

20190824002208_IMG_1406.jpg

Here our guest speaker @danlu_gt was probably talking @Bicyclebill into swapping out his lighting for the new ReeFi Duo Extremes.

20190824015017_IMG_1434.jpg

The ReeFi light to the right had such a nice focused illumination into the tank without the side glare seen on the Radion to the left.

20190824_145736.jpg

20190824_152437.jpg

Daniel gave a great detailed overview of his lights down to the component level.

20190824015125_IMG_1435.jpg

The ReeFi user interface is really straight forward and simple to use.

20190824_152420.jpg

The ReeFi light design was not the only work of art on display.  There was also plenty of great ink art for your viewing pleasure.

20190824_154353.jpg

After the ReeFi demo, it was time for the raffle.  @albertareef and I spent 10 minutes trying to levitate this raffle bag with our minds, but it just didn't happen.

20190824024229_IMG_1444(1).jpg

We had several cool raffle prizes up for grabs.  

20190824024207_IMG_1443(1).jpg

@Gil&Fin was waiting in the wings to see if anyone left early so she could claim their prize to make up for the light she almost won last year. 🤣

20190824024035_IMG_1439.jpg

20190824024050_IMG_1440.jpg

20190824024117_IMG_1441.jpg

Thanks to everyone for coming out, and all the tasty side dishes and drinks.  I had a great time and really enjoyed showing off my tank.  I'm so glad to be a part of this excellent reefing community!

I'd like to make this BBQ meeting into an annual event.  Hope to see you all again next summer!

• Like 10

Great write up John - thank you for taking the time to do this and also being such a gracious host for the event!  Everyone seemed to have a great time and there was lots of good food, conversation and reefing expertise to be had.  Also a big thank you to Brandon @lewisriverfisherman for taking over the photo documentation from our injured compatriot @badxgillen.

• Like 2

On 9/13/2019 at 7:07 AM, youcallmenny said:

Vicky and I had a great time John!  It's no small feat pulling off such a large party.  Thank you for being such a gracious host.  I hope the stags are doing well!

The stags are doing well.  Under the new ReeFi lights, they are showing some new growth and also seem to be changing colors a bit.  They are starting to look exactly like the large stag I have growing in the center of my rock arch, so I'm wondering if they were from the same original colony.  I believe I got that stag from Jeff last November when he had the mystery boxes and grab bags.

• Like 1

Meeting photos update:

After cleaning up from the BBQ and putting away the lawn games, I couldn't find one of the yellow plastic rings from the lawn dart set.  I assumed it must have ended up behind a shrub or maybe at the bottom of the pond, but I couldn't find it anywhere.  Today while I was out in the yard, I looked up to watch some hawks flying overhead and I noticed something in my tree.  Sure enough, it was the yellow ring from the lawn darts about 25 feet above the ground!  With the help of a tall ladder and the pole from my volleyball net, I was able to get it down. 🤣

IMG_7215.jpg

IMG_7216.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

The stags are doing well.  Under the new ReeFi lights, they are showing some new growth and also seem to be changing colors a bit.  They are starting to look exactly like the large stag I have growing in the center of my rock arch, so I'm wondering if they were from the same original colony.  I believe I got that stag from Jeff last November when he had the mystery boxes and grab bags.

Maybe but both of those colonies came from Bert about a year and a half ago.  That's hilarious about the toys in the tree!

• Haha 1

Meeting photos update:
After cleaning up from the BBQ and putting away the lawn games, I couldn't find one of the yellow plastic rings from the lawn dart set.  I assumed it must have ended up behind a shrub or maybe at the bottom of the pond, but I couldn't find it anywhere.  Today while I was out in the yard, I looked up to watch some hawks flying overhead and I noticed something in my tree.  Sure enough, it was the yellow ring from the lawn darts about 25 feet above the ground!  With the help of a tall ladder and the pole from my volleyball net, I was able to get it down. 🤣
IMG_7215.thumb.jpg.784aa925d8a7c8c845e4525c1253f4a1.jpg
IMG_7216.thumb.jpg.14e855ecbe3b3b83b23a934f85dceb85.jpg
Yeah, about that....

No, it wasn't me, but now that you mentioned it, I was out on your deck, I believe I was speaking to Brando at the time, when I turned and noticed a little boy throwing the ring up in the air. He threw it up a few times, and I think, his third throw, the ring got caught on a branch. He turned and looked around to see if anyone saw, but I don't think anyone did, except me.

So there you have it, the mystery is solved!

Sent from Atlantis 🤙

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Optimusprime3605 said:

Yeah, about that....

No, it wasn't me, but now that you mentioned it, I was out on your deck, I believe I was speaking to Brando at the time, when I turned and noticed a little boy throwing the ring up in the air. He threw it up a few times, and I think, his third throw, the ring got caught on a branch. He turned and looked around to see if anyone saw, but I don't think anyone did, except me.

So there you have it, the mystery is solved!

Sent from Atlantis 🤙

We've all been that little boy at some point...right?  😬🤣🤣

• Haha 1