Does anyone use ozone on there tank.

SALTY

In my experience, these days - it is more common to see ozone run on extremely large tanks i.e. public displays or large in-home works of art. Small tanks can survive without it. I almost feel like ozone is the beat-all-end-all way to deter bacteria or other water-born lifeforms.

5 hours ago, albertareef said:

I don't run Ozone currently but did for a while on my old tank.  Ran outlet into skimmer air intake and monitored via the overall tank redox potential.  My Ozone unit had the redox reader incorporated into it.  Not sure that helps...

^explained it well.

• Like 1

Exactly what Miles and Sean said.  The main place I've seen them is in giant form for the intakes that big aquariums use.  The Monteray Bay facility has marine intake pipes way out in the middle of the bay and they run it all through big ozone generators to sterilize the microbiome before it hits the rest of the system.  

• Like 1

I run a large ozonator with an attached compressor on my system. Whenever it’s running, my skimmer is way more productive. It’s the quickest way to raise ORP, they say  

ORP is a measure of your water’s capacity to oxidize & precipitate impurities out of the water, is my understanding. Ozone can make a noticeable difference in the clarity of the water. Fish will shed old scales & heal faster. Bacterial crap won’t fester as much. Many of the effects are similar to what you’d get by running UV. It’s all fairly marginal, so you might not necessarily notice. Might not be worth it in your case. 

• Like 2

I’ve read that there is some danger of overdose, but I have not had any issues, even if I run it lots. But my system is pretty big & funky. 

It puts negatively charged molecules in the water which attach themselves to various other molecules & precipitate. I imagine if there’s too much of this, the reactivity of the water could get to a point where it becomes mildly corrosive. 

Edited by maxicurls

Might make a marginal difference in those, but is mainly for the other things I mentioned. Low ORP is associated with dirty, bacteria laden water. There are many ways of raising it without ozone. Movement & surface agitation help, basically things that raise dissolved oxygen would tend to raise ORP as well. 

Lots of good points being made. I do think the use of ozone in home reef systems has become less common for a couple of reasons including the overall safety question as well as the challenge of proper dosing control.  Ozone is highly reactive and indiscriminate so you can definitely over do it to serious I’ll effects. Also, many of the benefits can be replicated by the use of UV - which is far easier to control. I wouldn’t say I would never try it again under the right circumstances but i would put a lot of thought into how to safely do so. Basically would not recommend unless you thoroughly studied the subject. There are some good articles out there along with discussions of ORP and the many complicated factors that play into that which would be worth tracking down if you are seriously considering. Just my 2 cents.  

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 4:57 PM, albertareef said:

I don't run Ozone currently but did for a while on my old tank.  Ran outlet into skimmer air intake and monitored via the overall tank redox potential.  My Ozone unit had the redox reader incorporated into it.  Not sure that helps...

Lot of good information and input, I have used it a lot in the pass and have always had great results with it, the water clarity is amazing. The key is not to overdose and if you run it on low settings like 25mgh carbon in not needed. 

The ones that do use an Ozone generator, how do you control it. Do you us an Apex controller with probe or just set it to come on for a few hours a day.

Edited by SALTY

I seem to have a lot of latitude. Run mine during hours when the bar is empty & vent the skimmer out the roof. Since I haven’t detected any ill effects, I’ve worked it up to about 6 hours a day. I’m sure it could go longer without issue. I do not remember what dosage I have it set to.

My system is not typical. So you should probably be more careful. Mine has high turnover from the return pump & lots of gas exchange as it drops into the basement. I’ve been doing a high import/high export thing - feed heavily, skim heavily, do lots of water changes. My heavy feeding means more positively charged particles for ozone to attach itself to, if I’m not mistaken. Might be a factor.