Herbie's trickle pipe noise

Trailermann

When I ran the bean animal (similar, just adds the emergency with that third drain), I turned an elbow at the sump's water surface with the idea it would help noise, but I kinda don't think it makes a difference... It's pretty quiet as long as it's barely a trickle.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

On 9/10/2019 at 7:13 PM, Higher Thinking said:

Little trickle shouldn't have any noticeable sound. You could always just not keep the water level that high in the overflow box. Any reason why you're set on that?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I was told that the E pipe should splash loudly whenever it goes live.  I just don't want an aggravating noisy trickle under normal conditions.

I was told that the E pipe should splash loudly whenever it goes live.  I just don't want an aggravating noisy trickle under normal conditions.
Your might be thinking of the bean animal overflow. It uses one as the siphon and one (durso-ish) as the trickle and the third is a true emergency, it should be dry unless something goes wrong with the others. That's why you want it loud

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm not asking why you want the emergency pipe to terminate at a spot high in the sump, I'm asking why you want to keep the water that high in the overflow box. There should be a decent amount of space between the siphon and the emergency pipe intake. Just find somewhere in between that works for you. It doesn't have to be up so high that it's overflowing into the emergency.

As an aside, people like to throw out that line about, "Oh yeah, be sure to terminate your emergency pipe above the sump water line so you'll know when it's activated." That's nonsense for several reasons, but I'll give you the only one that matters: you're going to hear it no matter what. That's why the full siphon is used because it's silent. No finely tuned siphon on the emergency and the drain is going to gurgle and be loud as heck.

• Like 1

I'm not asking why you want the emergency pipe to terminate at a spot high in the sump, I'm asking why you want to keep the water that high in the overflow box. There should be a decent amount of space between the siphon and the emergency pipe intake. Just find somewhere in between that works for you. It doesn't have to be up so high that it's overflowing into the emergency.

As an aside, people like to throw out that line about, "Oh yeah, be sure to terminate your emergency pipe above the sump water line so you'll know when it's activated." That's nonsense for several reasons, but I'll give you the only one that matters: you're going to hear it no matter what. That's why the full siphon is used because it's silent. No finely tuned siphon on the emergency and the drain is going to gurgle and be loud as heck.

The one thing to keep in mind is that the water in your external overflow box can affect the water level in your tank. So just be mindful of that.

28 minutes ago, Jorge said:

I can help if you'd like Paul. I can make that shadow overflow dead silent.

Cool, but with the changes inspired by SuncrestReef, it will be a few more months. 

Adding UV

Adding Klir fleece filter

changing sump to accommodate Klir

Of course, redoing the plumbing that was 90 percent finished

26 minutes ago, Trailermann said:

Cool, but with the changes inspired by SuncrestReef, it will be a few more months. 

Adding UV

Adding Klir fleece filter

changing sump to accommodate Klir

Of course, redoing the plumbing that was 90 percent finished

Yikes! Sounds like a nice build.