Surgical Strike - Acrylic Aquarium

milesmiles902

Well, friends...the time is coming close for the move of a life-time. Once, us Corvallis folks were most southern part of the Pacific Northwest Marine Aquarium Society. Now, I am the most northern reach of our community. With no intended damage in moving an aquarium, the only legitimate target is to complete our mission of conquering the surrounding infrastructure and utilities for the future generations i.e. The Pacific Northwest.

The plan is to no longer exist in the fragile world of glass aquariums; with heavy casualties, but design and improve upon past behavioral damage to eco-life. What this means for us, acrylic will soon be in our future goals. 

My plan is to build an acrylic aquarium at each site I move. With the beginning constraints being, a 2x3 ftperimeter enclosed by wooden trees and forest i.e. 2x4's.

The height is the debate.

For this shallow aquarium, what do people suggest for height? They will come as 1x3 or 2x3 ft2 strips from the plastic company (Roughly $10 each) and increments of whole feet. Should I cut them down? Should I go for a runner? Would it be kind of cool to make a 3 length x 3 ft height with an 8 inch width and ledge reef?

What's the proper thickness of Acrylite for an aquarium this size? 

Edited by milesmiles902

If I do a ledge, I'd likely put acrylic to support the ledge in the middle of the square face, along with lip the bottom because it would be a top heavy center of mass.

Maybe a ledge of some dimensions?...or even a left ledge and a right ledge going down to a center abyss?

What do people think?

Edited by milesmiles902

If I do a runner, it might be a foot in height with egg-crate racks similar to this for the feasibility of stacking frags: 

Untitled.png

That might be the most economical way to have a long-term coral community - 1x4 ft2 runner. 

Although, what type of acrylic thickness are we looking at? I'm unsure.