Wife Okayed a New Tank, She Didn't Say How Big

Higher Thinking

This is the culmination of months of planning, months of waiting, and then several weeks of installation.

Tale of the Tank:

360 gallon custom glass tank from Custom Aquariums.

•8 feet long, 3 feet wide, and 2 feet tall

•3 sides low-iron, high clarity

•Dual external overflows by Modular Marine

Stand is welded rolled steel and powder coated. Built by PNWMAS' own Spectra.

Sump was built by Crystal Reef Aquatics.

First up, pictures:10cf3ee9306193c7f5fb410bd4859d42.jpgdb404f80ef6927fd2d53e7616ef73d12.jpg34458b76edbe33ad59aa78b2555b494a.jpg784e921ec649b14583e39c38df19d594.jpg1d7ea6d692f09d3b3edf5038782dad06.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 17

Equipment list:

2 Gen 3 Ecotech Radion

4 Gen 4 Ecotech Radion Pros

Apex 2016 with 10" Tablet display

DCT 15000 Jebao return pump

Bubble Magus 77 Skimmer

MP40wQD

2 Gyre XF250s

2 Jebao SOW 20s

Tunze ATO plumbed directly to water line

Air, Water, Ice RODI unit

Inkbird Temperature Controller with Jager heaters

K2R calcium reactor and 20lb. CO2 tank.

My previous tank was a 180 Marineland. Due to an overrunning of majanos and blue cloves, it needed to be taken down and rebooted. The fish and 4 anemones are the only thing that moved into the new tank. The setup was started with 200 pounds of Caribsea rock on bare bottom.

The sump is located in the closet across from the tank and all the piping goes under the house. I included three gate valves on the return plumbing. These will feed the calcium reactor, media reactor, and something else... Not sure yet.

The tank was originally drilled for Synergy overflows. After doing a bunch of reading about them and handling one myself, I regretted going with Synergy. So I contacted Modular Marine and they made custom overflows that will match the holes for Synergy. I'm so glad I went with them. These things are rock solid with 3/8" acrylic manufacturing. The ability to completely remove the front weir is a nice touch, too. The overflows are plumbed for dual Herbie drains.

The Tunze is connected to a solenoid valve which is tied into the RODI unit. Yes! No more refilling top off buckets! I have the sump drilled with a physical float valve in case the solenoid fails. 2f167edd2947be363ef4c365f0110acc.jpg8e6e663784d937cbbcb086ae29e6e4e7.jpg8fa691d50d322eb94d35e670d27e22a0.jpg

• Like 4

"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
 Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know."

This is already a showpiece without a polyp in it. Just a beautiful setup. Such is the stuff from which epic build threads are woven.......

🍻

Edited by IntoTheMystic
  • Like 3

The plumbing on this thing was quite the operation. The piping under the house was already in place from my previous build so I didn't have to redo that. I just cut the pipes right above the floor and redid everything from the ground up. The new plumbing took 105 glued PVC connections, 14 bulkheads, and 8 true unions. Apart from two connections I forgot to glue (which I quickly fixed), I didn't have a single leaking connection. That was such a relief!

There is still more work to be done with the overall setup. I have to add a plywood bottom to the stand and then I'll cover it with the same laminate as the flooring. That'll cover the bottom braces. I'm also considering doing some kind of false wall on the back that will hide all the cords and power blocks.

The biggest thing I need to rework is the lighting canopy. Whenever I get another light fixture, I'll need to replace the bottom plywood and cut out different holes for the lights. I'm also considering a couple MH pendants, but haven't made up my mind on that yet.

I still need to paint the bottom of the old PVC black. When I did new plumbing for this build, I used all black PVC, but the old stuff is the basic white.

• Like 3

I have to give a special shout out to Jeff at CNC. He helped me get this tank ordered and delivered as well as negotiated some price savings from the manufacturer. He also helped me get some rock for really cheap.

I visited today to get my inaugural coral. I got myself a Garf Bonsi frag, a green torch, and a zoa frag. Figured I'd get a variety pack of an LPS, SPS, and zoas. I'll just say Jeff was VERY kind with his pricing for my first coral purchase for this tank!

Also want to thank Jeremy Evans for helping get this beast of a tank into the house. It took 8 people to move it from the garage into the house.

• Like 6

Getting the stand into the house was a bit more of a challenge than originally planned. I had read numerous articles online about being able to remove the stationary door from sliding patio doors. I had already removed the sliding door multiple times because I installed a dog door in the glass panel of the slider. So I knew that wasn't going to be an issue. I was just unsure about the stationary door. The stand is 40 inches tall so there isn't a doorway in the house that can fit the stand.

Once I took the slider off, I went to work on the stationary door only to realize that contrary to all the YouTube videos, mine doesn't actually come out. So I had to improvise. I ended up taking apart the frame of the door and then popping the actual glass pane out of the frame. That allowed for a smooth entrance into the house.

This meant that rather a ten minute pop out and in with the doors, it turned into a nearly three hour operation. If you've never removed a glass door pane, there's double sided weather stripping that seals the door frame to the glass pane. So once you remove the pane, you have to completely remove all the previous stripping, clean all surfaces, and then reapply new weather stripping.

It all worked out, but definitely much more time than I originally thought.

Here's a hyper speed video of me removing the glass pane. Forgive the quality and shaky camera, as this is simply me using my phone to record playback from the security cameras off my TV.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Dude, that patio door disassembly was crazy! Great video. I’ve never seen a slider like that. Awesome setup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Bill! Are you talking about never seeing the in-the-door dog door? If so, that was a new discovery for me last year. They're pretty slick. All you have to do is order that notched panel and then swap it out with your original.

Hot Dam Man!!! That looks like it was quite the project and you went all out, didn't know you already had it this far along though. Looks Amazing!
And I guess this means you are not moving for a Very Long time.
Haha, yeah man. I'll be hunkered down for quite some time. I can't fathom moving this thing after it's been setup. Maybe I'll become rich and famous between now and then and I'll just pay someone to dismantle and move everything. I need to get to Corvallis and check out your operation. You hung an Open sign yet??

On 8/11/2019 at 9:52 PM, Higher Thinking said:

I'm also considering doing some kind of false wall on the back that will hide all the cords and power blocks.

I like this idea - especially as you could use magnets for mounting and be able to quickly pull it out for access/maintenance as needed.

• Like 1

Just about finished with the flooring under the stand. The far right board is not actually cut to size and is simply sitting there right now. I'll need to trim that down before I can call it a day with the bottom. It's tough to appreciate by photo, but I'm really diggin the raised bottom (it's about 2 inches higher). d75d954422fb3d0cbf2f8bf51feb88da.jpge7503f144cde83d522c4bda93353723e.jpg

34903aefc4546ea3b0be7f68fa2dc9b0.jpg

Also brought back a Rubbermaid that I borrowed from Mr. Bret and he had a good looking Humuhumu that had just been returned. It was priced to sell so I figured I'd give it some room to flex it's fins. That thing literally started eating after 30 seconds of being acclimated and then dropped in the tank. I figured I'd drop in some food so the other fish would ignore the Humu and this thing just barged right into the melee and started fighting for food.

9d978244f4eedca851be301e40d86790.jpg160166b3b041d3bfe5a007c55da57550.jpg5e4d035895053003f0c6ab8519f9cbbd.jpg

• Like 4

Love the raised flooring under the tank - that looks awesome!  If you end up putting up some back panels it will seem like the whole tank is just floating there... really great look.  Excited to see this in person.  What are your overall stocking plans re coral and inverts now that you have that trigger in there? (he looks cool BTW)

• Like 2

Love the raised flooring under the tank - that looks awesome!  If you end up putting up some back panels it will seem like the whole tank is just floating there... really great look.  Excited to see this in person.  What are your overall stocking plans re coral and inverts now that you have that trigger in there? (he looks cool BTW)
I've honestly never been super gungho about clean up crew. I think people tend to widely over use them. I think at one point I had like 5 snails in my other tank, but that's it. I'll probably throw some in from time to time to give the Humu a snack.

I also don't keep any crabs or shrimp in the display. Since I'm doing bare bottom, I'm thinking of adding a sand filled refugium in the sump. Then I'll put a goby and pistol shrimp in there because I love that pair.

I'm planning on SPS dominant and thinking I shouldn't have problems with the fish. Every fish can be different, but we'll see.

• Like 2