Is anyone dosing amino acids or anything else for your sps?

lewisriverfisherman

I was using Acropower. I noticed that the LPS seemed more extended and “fuller”. Same with zoanthids. Also noticed that my algae growth increased considerably. Also had a recent dyno bloom. I can’t say that the dyno bloom was due to the amino acids, but I do think that it contributed. I have since discontinued the use of acropower. I’ve been feeding reef foods, mysis and R.O.E. This has been enough to keep my nitrates and phosphates at acceptable levels. Everything seems to be doing fine. I read that many fish foods contain amino acids and the uneaten foods break down and provide the tank with an ample supply. Maybe just really low nutrient tanks need amino acid supplementation? Just my 2 cents, Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have not started dosing anything other than calcium and alkalinity, and target feeding my corals a couple times per week..  I've thought about dosing other elements, but my corals seem happy so I'm hesitant to do anything new.  I also think my auto daily water changes with Red Sea Coral Pro is probably giving the corals some of the other elements they need.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Amino Acids are great! If any of you want to make a really cheap solution of amino acids. Here's my recipe:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R2EaF2wlKoYrQxmnZYlg6DMuGszbd0u1/view?usp=sharing

Ultimately, you just order the amino acids online and get gallons worth - for a fraction of the price. 

I used to dose them and I will say, they really help with controlled dosages.

• Like 1

I've also used two other products for lengths of time in the past.  I started with Aquavitro Fuel which works great but has to be refridgerated after opening and is kind of hard to source.  It's also expensive.  I then used Acropower for the last year and a half on my 75g and that was much easier.  It still worked great and didn't need to be cold so it could be dosed.  Though the RS A+B also has to be in the fridge, I've had the best results with it.  That's also a carbohydrate product involved that IIRC Fuel also included.  

I've tried just not running aminos in the past and been displeased with the results.  

• Like 1

Aquavitro fuel,and other aquavitro products, can be found at CBs and obsessions. If anyone is wondering.

Question for those that have had good results. Do you run ultra low nutrient systems? Wondering if that's why I saw no difference, and maybe some negative. Maybe my RS a+b was no good. I kept it in fridge since opening. One is neon green in color, the other seems to have little flakes/chunks in it, normal?