140 Gallon Mixed Reef

freddyk

My reef is housed in a 140 gallon in wall acrylic aquarium built by James at Envision Acrylics.

This is my second attempt at making the reef thing work. I had a more primitive version of this setup back in 2008 but it was less successful and I took close to a decade off.

This time I am trying to be more focused and take advantage of the new methods and technology. It seems to be working except for a manageable amount of cyanobacteria.

The vast majority of the coral came from this community. Huge shout out to @shaywood @badxgillen @EMeyer  @Emerald525 @pdxmonkeyboy @goldenbasketreef @CuttleFishandCoral for all the amazing coral.

I am using BRS 2part, Acropower, and NOPOX

Jebao doser

2x Maxspect XF250 GYRE PUMP

OMEGA 180I PROTEIN SKIMMER

Trigger Systems Triton 44 Sump - I am not using the Triton method.

Synergy Reef Systems 16" SHADOW OVERFLOW

7-23-19-Full-Tank.png

7-23-19-Center-Tank-2.png

7-23-19-Right-Tank.png

7-23-19-Center-Tank.png

7-23-19-Left-Tank.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Tank is looking great freddyk!  Glad to see your re-entry being successful.  Seems like quite a few happy SPS in there which is impressive - how long has this iteration of the tank been up?

Thanks! I put my first coral in it when I participated in the group buy at the March 2018 meeting at Cuttlefish. In my first attempt 10 years ago coral growth was mostly just a dream. Now if I can keep it up coral growth could be problematic – a good problem to have.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Emerald525 said:

Looking good! Thanks for sharing ! I always love to see what good homes my corals have found! These zoas look like Sunny Ds.

Thanks! Sunny D's must be it. I seem to remember a couple verities being available for that buy. I am horrible at keeping track of coral names.

I have one confession regarding your coral. You sold me a green monti that I put next to a few zoanthids. I made this decision before I understood how fast zoas could grow. Soon the monti began to get surrounded. To her credit my wife would regularly remind me to rescue the monti and I would say that it is on my list and somehow never got around to it.  A few weeks ago the monti started to fight back. In this picture you can see it making a valiant attempt to breakout stage right. Maybe I should fire up the calvary and give it a hand.

Do you remember what that monti was called? I don't know what the zoas are but they are a rare mix of beautiful and fast growing.

7-24-19-Coral-Battle.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, freddyk said:

Thanks! Sunny D's must be it. I seem to remember a couple verities being available for that buy. I am horrible at keeping track of coral names.

I have one confession regarding your coral. You sold me a green monti that I put next to a few zoanthids. I made this decision before I understood how fast zoas could grow. Soon the monti began to get surrounded. To her credit my wife would regularly remind me to rescue the monti and I would say that it is on my list and somehow never got around to it.  A few weeks ago the monti started to fight back. In this picture you can see it making a valiant attempt to breakout stage right. Maybe I should fire up the calvary and give it a hand.

Do you remember what that monti was called? I don't know what the zoas are but they are a rare mix of beautiful and fast growing.

7-24-19-Coral-Battle.png

Looks awesome. Does the Monti have a blue base ?  I’m thinking possibly poker star 

• Like 1

[mention=15876]TaylorW[/mention] Thanks! Those are zoanthids. I got them in a group buy at Cuttlefish in what I think was March of 2018. I started with 4 and now it is crazy. I have one reference to the name as being 'Rainbow Zoas'.
Wow those are some pretty large polyps!

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I heart my mixing station. Two 50 gallon rectangular tanks actually fit in the only space I had available in my over stuffed and under sized house.  I don't have any automation yet but they have really helped me stay on top of maintenance. 

water-station-full-2.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, freddyk said:

I heart my mixing station. Two 50 gallon rectangular tanks actually fit in the only space I had available in my over stuffed and under sized house.  I don't have any automation yet but they have really helped me stay on top of maintenance. 

What is that little black tube at the top of your plumbing for, and where does it lead?

water-station-full-2.thumb.png.373a39daacba5f4f8c4a7eec659f7514.png

@SuncrestReef Wow I am so busted. That is the return to the tank so that I can pump fresh water to the ATO reservoir or salt water to the tank. Problem is that the 1/4 inch tubing is WAY to small and it essentially does not work. I need to get some wider diameter tubing and the perfect adapter to make it work correctly. Somehow I find the time to carry buckets but I can't get around to a Home Depot run to do it right. Sigh... Once I get around to that I will be king of the world at least until I decide I need auto water changes with the Neptune DOS. 

Edited by freddyk
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, freddyk said:

@SuncrestReef Wow I am so busted. That is the return to the tank so that I can pump fresh water to the ATO reservoir or salt water to the tank. Problem is that the 1/4 inch tubing is WAY to small and it essentially does not work. I need to get some wider diameter tubing and the perfect adapter to make it work correctly. Somehow I find the time to carry buckets but I can't get around to a Home Depot run to do it right. Sigh... Once I get around to that I will be king of the world at least until I decide I need auto water changes with the Neptune DOS. 

I use 1/4" tubing from my mixing station for auto water changes and for ATO and pump it 30 feet with no problem.  Your tubing is fine, but your pump with that reduction fitting is not a good combination.  A simple peristaltic dosing pump or a submersible utility pump that directly connects to 1/4" tubing will work much better with your tubing.

If you can make it to this month's meeting at my house on the 24th, you should check out how mine is set up to get some ideas.

• 1 year later...