Clownfish fry mistakes

talkalot82

So far with these clown fry. Mistakes. Mind you I havent breed since 2011

I pulled them out of tank too early so the eggs got fungus. So out of my already small clutch i lost half the eggs.  Note to self percularis  take longer to hatch than other clowns. Day 9 and 10. Not 7 and 8.

My rotifer green water came clear. So I had rotifer crash due to lack of food. Restarted

My rotifer specific gravity in one bucket spiked and it crashed. Restarted

My rotifer heater in my other bucket coppered them. Had to restart both buckets. 

My clowns fry are living on limited rations. 

I sucked up 4 clowns in a water change,then accidentally tipped the bucket on the garage floor.

Alot of clown sied cause they didnt learn to Hunt food, but part of that was because  I didnt put in enough rotifers due to lack of them 

I've lost by day four about 20 baby clowns. I started with about estimates  45. A series  of unfortunate  events. Next time this won't happen again. 

Pn positive note my green water is doing great and rotifers are stating to breed again. 

15638379251515625030240029832375.jpg

15638379651198118450640628623341.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Unfortunately that's how we learn [emoji17] but to look on the bright side you'll be ready for it next time, clowns lay often enough that in no time you'll be doing it again with more success!

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

Are you going to try again on your clowns next batch or wait? And if you did do it again on the next batch would you hatch them out in the same tank as the fry you already have or set up a seperate tank for the new ones?

Mistake what ever number added. Clowns fry dont eat as much when under actnic.  Lost a few to starvation. Best to use plain small white clip on light. Also my led went out today. On positive  note.  I had it since 2010 when they first came out. So I think I got my money's worth. Switch to a nano compact florence.  Until I can get to store to buy lamp

22 minutes ago, talkalot82 said:

Mistake what ever number added. Clowns fry dont eat as much when under actnic.  Lost a few to starvation. Best to use plain small white clip on light. Also my led went out today. On positive  note.  I had it since 2010 when they first came out. So I think I got my money's worth. Switch to a nano compact florence.  Until I can get to store to buy lamp

Well... hopefully you are getting these all out of the way before the next clutch.  Interesting about the link between lighting and feeding behavior.

I lost a baby today from adding baby brine shrimp. Today was day 6.  Here's a pic. As you can see bbs was cause if you see red bloody tummy. Probably  a shell. Pics taken with my new phone microscope.  

Also yesterday and today I offered pestol and mortared seachem flake food. A few checking out flakes but still learning. 190724_232814.jpg.3552066e1b3563de8f46755b77f02e4f.jpg

190724_232920.jpg

I lost a baby today from adding baby brine shrimp. Today was day 6.  Here's a pic. As you can see bbs was cause if you see red bloody tummy. Probably  a shell. Pics taken with my new phone microscope.  
Also yesterday and today I offered pestol and mortared seachem flake food. A few checking out flakes but still learning. 190724_232814.jpg.3552066e1b3563de8f46755b77f02e4f.jpg
190724_232920.jpg.5c6022485d93a8ef23b778c83a6887a1.jpg

[emoji22] raising baby clowns seems tough, so are you going to try again immediately, or try raising the remaining fry first? I hope the rest make it, it’s crazy how little things you don’t think about can cause so many problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Day 9. 

Turns out I had more clowns than I knew about. So yeah me..  after alot of issues, my rotifers and green water is going strong. So next batch I should get alot more. 

Some of the babys are eating flake food now. Finely ground to go thru my brine shrimp sieve. 

And all are eating baby brine shrimp. I can tell they are going after the shrimp because their tummys are pink now not silver. 

Not the best pictures, but here they are. Also water is green from my green water in it. So the food doesnt starve. Also so my babys can see the food better. The specs in pictures are rotifers. 

20190727_215911.jpg

20190727_215848.jpg

20190727_215822.jpg

20190727_215838.jpg

• Like 3

Night 9.

Went to shut off replacement  light fixture and I dumped it into my baby tank. Luckily I ripped it out quickly. And unplugged it of course. No losses at this time. Thank god.

Went to Walmart bought a led desk lamp. That's height adjustable. Seems to work well. Now that wont happen again. 

But what a panic. . Heart attack..  

• Like 1

Night 9.
Went to shut off replacement  light fixture and I dumped it into my baby tank. Luckily I ripped it out quickly. And unplugged it of course. No losses at this time. Thank god.
Went to Walmart bought a led desk lamp. That's height adjustable. Seems to work well. Now that wont happen again. 
But what a panic. . Heart attack..  
[emoji44] at least were quick about it! So how many are you thinking you have now? I believe you said before you thought around a dozen were left?

I'm going to be interesting  to see baby percularis  because mom has black in her and so does dad. So thinking I'm going to have darker ones. Genetically  they can produce standard babys,  or ones with more white or more black.  No matter what I'll love them. 

• Like 3

Clownfish day 10. 

Ran out of baby brine shrimp. Had a defected batch of eggs. Ordered more. Clowns still eating rotifers and some eating flake food. Clowns have fat tummys. Body's starting to round up like a mini clown. No signs  of stripe yet. Awaiting next step in metamorphis.

In picture below mine look like day 9. Stripe should show up next. 

Screenshot_20190729-000530_Google.thumb.jpg.a2dc5a2cebc9aa47a292d49c24e42643.jpg

• Like 2

Heater in baby tank went out last. Woke up had two clown losses. Tank stands normally  at 80°F. Last night dropped to 69°F.  

Hurried and slowly added parents tank water to baby tank to raise temperature. Dripped in of course.

Went out got new  eheim heater. Covered light with tape. Walla seems to be happy clowns again. 

Only managed to hatch a few brine today so another day of flakes. But I got my brine shrimp mix in mail today. So hurried to get it going. Hopefully  tomorrow I will be rolling in baby brine.

Clowns are metamorphis. Will take a few days.

Below picture or dead baby I lost last night. Its folded so not best picture. But you can see his orange coming

190729_213823.jpg

• Sad 1