Who sells Berghia Nudibranch? AKA Aiptasia Eating Nudi

Matteo

Any of the LFS sell these little dudes?

Need some spot treatment in my Nuvo 40. I guess I will start calling around if anything 🤷‍♂️

I don't feel like making a large order online, I guess I could down the road and add macros for my predator build... 

https://saltyunderground.com/category/berghia-nudibranch-the-natural-choice-for-aiptasia-control 

I pre-ordered 15 from salty underground last week.   The sale price was just too good.   At $5.50/each, I didn't mind waiting two weeks for them to ship.  Website says shipping 7/31.  Even if they're late, I'm okay.

$5.50/ea for 1/4", free shipping >$75, is better than the MACNA 2018 show special they offered.  The offer was $8.92/ea (1-19) / $8.07/ea (20+), Free shipping >$200.     I went back to my MACNA photos to find the old sale details.

IMG_6729.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update:   Berghia shipment arrived yesterday, introduced to the tank last night.  All arrived fine, and as advertised.

There are Four Nudi's in the tank photo.   1st is immediately visible, in middle of photo.  Other three are clustered under the base of the green acro frag to the right. 

IMG_2145.JPG

IMG_2139.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, obrien.david.j said:

Okay, I was holding back on all of you.

Here's your challenge, there's a 5th Berghia in the picture.  You have to be astute to recognize its signature and not obvious.  But if you view photo at full size, you can see it.  ....   Find It!    Reply with a photo of where it is.

I’m too distracted by the aiptasia to see anything else. 😳🤣

• Haha 2

I got in on the saltyunderground sale and they arrived yesterday. I was really impressed with the packaging and health of these little guys. They were very active in the shipping container and latched to the inside of the pipette immediately and were hard to even puff out onto the rock. I bought enough to get the free shipping, so 14 of them for 77 bucks, not bad! Upon being released into the tank, they latched right onto the rock and disappeared. We'll see what happens, hope the wrasse doesn't pick them off. I had a low level aiptasia problem, but have noticed a definite uptick over the last year or so between hitting them with aiptasiax at water changes. Can't wait to see them take off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Willapa said:

I got in on the saltyunderground sale and they arrived yesterday. I was really impressed with the packaging and health of these little guys. They were very active in the shipping container and latched to the inside of the pipette immediately and were hard to even puff out onto the rock. I bought enough to get the free shipping, so 14 of them for 77 bucks, not bad! Upon being released into the tank, they latched right onto the rock and disappeared. We'll see what happens, hope the wrasse doesn't pick them off. I had a low level aiptasia problem, but have noticed a definite uptick over the last year or so between hitting them with aiptasiax at water changes. Can't wait to see them take off!

In my experience, I didn't notice much impact on the aiptasia for the first couple weeks, but then a few prominent ones mysteriously disappeared over night.  After 2 months, they were completely gone.  Just be patient.  Also, you will rarely see the nudibranchs.  At night with a flashlight you might see one or two on occasion.  They're really good at hiding.

• Like 1

This matches my experience.  (this is probably my 4th time over many years applying Berghia.  Heck, I grew them out in the 90's, before they were commercially available.)

Add Berghia to tank.   They Vanish.   Nothing Happens.  Nothing Happens.   Few weeks later, some Aptasia start disappearing.  Few weeks after than, they're noticeably going away.   Many weeks later, Every Last One is gone.   

... Except, if aptasia that are in some weird to reach locations.  (like, not on the main rocks/gravel)    In those cases, manually scrape, poison, etc.   With the confidence, Berghia will eat any sub pieces that break free.

• Like 1

This matches my experience.  (this is probably my 4th time over many years applying Berghia.  Heck, I grew them out in the 90's, before they were commercially available.)
Add Berghia to tank.   They Vanish.   Nothing Happens.  Nothing Happens.   Few weeks later, some Aptasia start disappearing.  Few weeks after than, they're noticeably going away.   Many weeks later, Every Last One is gone.   
... Except, if aptasia that are in some weird to reach locations.  (like, not on the main rocks/gravel)    In those cases, manually scrape, poison, etc.   With the confidence, Berghia will eat any sub pieces that break free.

Thanks for the advice. I
Can be patient and sit back and watch them die!! Will they migrate into the sump? I just put them into the display but imagine some aiptasia are lurking down there.

I’ve had my Berghias in my tank for a few months now. My tank is a Redsea E-260 it has a sump in rear but I also have a below sump. I found berghias in the rear sump where there is no flow all the time. They must crawl up the wall and up and over. Found one in my filter sock looked dead but when I put back in tank came to life. They are pretty fun to watch, best time to find them for me is about 30min after lights out. Dustin. 

• 1 month later...

A little update here, so I added 14 or so to my 120 just over a month ago and they are like snipers in the night! For the first 2 weeks I saw nothing and the aiptasia started to multiply quick since I wasn’t routinely hitting with aiptasiaX. I was just patient and all of a sudden about 2 weeks ago, I saw a prominent one disappear and spotted a nudi every now and again with a flashlight. But now, they’ve reach the tipping point and the aiptasia are going fast. Just amazing. I can’t believe how well these have worked and by far the easiest and fun reef pest treatment I’ve done. Even some of the huge ones just vaporized over night. Until now, I had never used a flashlight on my rock at night and amazed at how many pods are scampering around. It’s quite creepy.

7 minutes ago, Willapa said:

A little update here, so I added 14 or so to my 120 just over a month ago and they are like snipers in the night! For the first 2 weeks I saw nothing and the aiptasia started to multiply quick since I wasn’t routinely hitting with aiptasiaX. I was just patient and all of a sudden about 2 weeks ago, I saw a prominent one disappear and spotted a nudi every now and again with a flashlight. But now, they’ve reach the tipping point and the aiptasia are going fast. Just amazing. I can’t believe how well these have worked and by far the easiest and fun reef pest treatment I’ve done. Even some of the huge ones just vaporized over night. Until now, I had never used a flashlight on my rock at night and amazed at how many pods are scampering around. It’s quite creepy.

That was exactly my experience as well.  Nudibranchs are pretty amazing.

And yes, a flashlight at night will reveal all sorts of things you didn't know were there!  I check my tank almost every evening just for fun.

• Like 1

I placed 12 nudis two months ago. I still have aiptasia. More than before. Not sure why it’s not working for me

Have the aiptasia at least slowed down? That is the first thing I noticed. The big ones kept getting larger but wasn’t seeing as many new ones. It’s like they eat the little ones first, then the hidden ones, then the exposed ones. I had a lot of aiptasia but it wasn’t out of control. Do you have a pretty bad infestation? I was worried my wrasse would eat them but it’s hard to tell since I’ve only seen one nudi at a time on two occasions. You’d think they weren’t even in there. Good luck!

12 hours ago, Manny Tavan said:

I placed 12 nudis two months ago. I still have aiptasia. More than before. Not sure why it’s not working for me

Do you ever see the nudis at night? I find nudis in my filter socks all the time. Maybe they got wrapped up in your filter roll?