Another Hydra Down...

youcallmenny

It's been like 3 months and 2 out of 4 of my Hydra 26's have died and had to be returned.  I just got the replacement for the second light and all 3 'blue' diodes don't function at all.  That's 3 lights that have had to be returned.  They only ship UPS ground too so each time this happens I'm down a light on my tank for a week and a half.  Anyone had these kinds of problems with AI products?  Can I return them?  I am so bummed.  😩  Again. 

• Sad 1

It's been like 3 months and 2 out of 4 of my Hydra 26's have died and had to be returned.  I just got the replacement for the second light and half the blue diodes don't function at all.  That's 3 lights that have had to be returned.  They only ship UPS ground too so each time this happens I'm down a light on my tank for a week and a half.  Anyone had these kinds of problems with AI products?  Can I return them?  I am so bummed.  [emoji30]  Again. 
Never had hydras and by the sound of things, I don't think I'll ever purchase them. Sorry for issues you are having. Wish I had a solution... Oh wait, I do!
Sell all your hydras and pick up a Reefi Duo Extreme, from Daniel@danlu_gt. If anything were to go wrong, he's local enough that you wouldn't have to wait a week and a half.
Just sayin'... [emoji6]

Sent from Atlantis 🤙

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've had them for 3 months.  Warranty is 12.  3 out of 5 lights dead is a pretty bad track record.  They had opened and presumably QA/QC'd this light from the look of it but apparently just power-checked it and didn't test diodes.  It seems like it's the entire blue driver because it's the same 3 diodes on each of it's 2 pucks.  

The timing is really frustrating for me too after a year straight of dealing with a different light that wasn't performing at all.  Now it's just been months of dealing with light failures while my tank is taking off.  Well, 3/4's of it is taking off anyways.  Thanks for listening to me vent!  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, youcallmenny said:

It's been like 3 months and 2 out of 4 of my Hydra 26's have died and had to be returned.  I just got the replacement for the second light and all 3 'blue' diodes don't function at all.  That's 3 lights that have had to be returned.  They only ship UPS ground too so each time this happens I'm down a light on my tank for a week and a half.  Anyone had these kinds of problems with AI products?  Can I return them?  I am so bummed.  😩  Again. 

This is nuts!  That is an insane failure rate.  Sorry man 😞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any chance the serial numbers are close on all the dead lights? Wonder if their supplier gave a bad batch of parts. We're the fans running? 

On another note, them sending you a bad replacement unit right out of the box is a very good reason to not support them as a company at all.

27 minutes ago, youcallmenny said:

Well, I called them and they wanted me to mail back both defective lights.  At least they're covering shipping and expediting the return.  Pretty easy customer service but I am not looking forward to what happens after 12 months... 

Well that is a bit of an improvement anyway but still...  I get why you would be worried about the longer term prospects based on your experience so far - so would I!

• Like 1