Jump to content
lurch

Mixing station

Recommended Posts

I'm wanting to set up my mixing station. I was wondering where everyone buys their mixing barrels? I'm looking for 25 to 30 gallon barrels. If anybody has done this let me know where you got your barrels from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got mine at Green Concepts Containers in Gresham.  They have a huge selection of every shape & size of storage containers.  They advertise on Craigslist where you can see a lot of their selection:

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bfd/d/portland-green-concepts/6921696553.html

2227 NW Eleven Mile Ave, Gresham, OR 97030

IMG_6350.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's exactly what I'm looking for thank you very much I'll be contacting them

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have literally the same two containers from the same place.  Best thing I could have ever done for my water station.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lurch said:

That's exactly what I'm looking for thank you very much I'll be contacting them

By the way, if you haven’t yet figured out what additional parts you’ll need for your mixing station, I have a full annotated parts list from mine on my R2R build thread:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/suncrestreefs-red-sea-reefer-xl-425-build.358990/page-34#post-6173194

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice write up SuncrestReef! 

 

What did you guys pay for those Norwesco containers? My new build needs a more solid station like that...55 gal RO barrel is ok but that setup is slick!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Blue Z Reef said:

Nice write up SuncrestReef! 

 

What did you guys pay for those Norwesco containers? My new build needs a more solid station like that...55 gal RO barrel is ok but that setup is slick!

I can't remember the exact price, but I think it was about $150 for each 75 gallon container.  They came with a pre-installed 1.25" threaded bulkhead at the bottom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have what you need there. I got my 275 gallon food grade totes for my garden there. Plus my 15 gallon buckets for mixed salt. Huge selection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

I can't remember the exact price, but I think it was about $150 for each 75 gallon container.  They came with a pre-installed 1.25" threaded bulkhead at the bottom.

Those are pretty nice I have to say...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Those are pretty nice I have to say...

I also like that this model has flat surfaces at the top making it easy to add other bulkheads for both plumbing and cable/tubing access.

8A933908-32CB-44AC-BA53-A151D8AA39E8.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK,

Looks like I am headed to Gresham on my lunch break to pick up two of the 25 Gallon tanks. Thanks a lot Suncrest.  All you do is cost me money when I see your setup.  JK.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MorseReef said:

OK,

Looks like I am headed to Gresham on my lunch break to pick up two of the 25 Gallon tanks. Thanks a lot Suncrest.  All you do is cost me money when I see your setup.  JK.

My work here is done!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, just picked up my tanks.  Two 25 Gall vertical tanks.  Had my salt tank bulkhead swapped out to a 1" instead of the 3/4" it come with.  Now I need to build a stand and get the piping going.  Then I can hook up the extra DOS to do automatic water changes.  Can't wait. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SuncrestReef,

Where did you buy the color fittings?  I see bulk reef supply has the colored tubing but not the colored fittings. Besides white and grey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Purchased from the same source in Gresham as others. My tank is directly on the other side of that wall making all lot easier.

20190223_194129-jpg.989096

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, MorseReef said:

SuncrestReef,

Where did you buy the color fittings?  I see bulk reef supply has the colored tubing but not the colored fittings. Besides white and grey. 

I got most of the fittings at Aquarium Specialty:  https://www.aquariumspecialty.com/parts-plumbing/pvc-parts.html

The 3-way elbows I found at FormuFit:  https://formufit.com/collections/3-way-pvc-corner-elbow/available-colors_orange

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SuncrestReef, 

Thanks for the awesome R2R writeup, and detailed photos.    I've been planning my mixing station, and going to update with some of your details.

For Water Tanks,  I got a recommendation to check out National Tank Outlet.  When you select tanks, Filter for available FROM WA.    And then Drive There to pick it up.

https://www.ntotank.com/vertical-storage-tanks

I just ordered two 75 gallon tanks at $130/ea, plus single $25 pickup charge.   Pickup is at Norwesco | Washougal, WA.   (I haven't gotten the pickup notice yet, so this is a "wait for them" topic.)

https://www.ntotank.com/75gallon-norwesco-white-vertical-storage-tank-x9749447

 

One question about your setup.    It looks like you've got an Apex Temp Probe at the bottom of your salt water tub.    Is the Temp probe Fully Submersible like this?    I've never been sure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

SuncrestReef, 

Thanks for the awesome R2R writeup, and detailed photos.    I've been planning my mixing station, and going to update with some of your details.

For Water Tanks,  I got a recommendation to check out National Tank Outlet.  When you select tanks, Filter for available FROM WA.    And then Drive There to pick it up.

https://www.ntotank.com/vertical-storage-tanks

I just ordered two 75 gallon tanks at $130/ea, plus single $25 pickup charge.   Pickup is at Norwesco | Washougal, WA.   (I haven't gotten the pickup notice yet, so this is a "wait for them" topic.)

https://www.ntotank.com/75gallon-norwesco-white-vertical-storage-tank-x9749447

 

One question about your setup.    It looks like you've got an Apex Temp Probe at the bottom of your salt water tub.    Is the Temp probe Fully Submersible like this?    I've never been sure.

Wow, I never knew Norwesco had a location in Washougal.  That’s a good price!

Yes, I have a temperature and salinity probe fully submerged in my salt mixing tank.  They work fine and have been in there for about 16 months now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW,  I was not concerned with Timeline when I placed my order.   I just got confirmation of of the order, and an expectation of 2-3wks.   Which is fine with me.

 

 

Quote

 

Dear David OBrien,

Your order # Rxxx status is now Processing.

Thank you for your order - we appreciate your business! Your tank is built at the manufacturer with a lead time of 2-3 weeks. We have queued your order with the manufacturer and will email you a trip number as soon as it is ready for pick up. Please do not try to pick up at factory until you receive your trip number as the factory will not have it ready until then. Thank you, Amy

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2019 at 12:20 PM, SuncrestReef said:

I got mine at Green Concepts Containers in Gresham.  They have a huge selection of every shape & size of storage containers.  They advertise on Craigslist where you can see a lot of their selection:

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bfd/d/portland-green-concepts/6921696553.html

2227 NW Eleven Mile Ave, Gresham, OR 97030

IMG_6350.jpgwhat pump are you using with yours  I bought the 50 gallon containers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These 50 gallon rectangular tanks are what I went with. I got them from ruralking.com with free shipping that took 8 weeks. They don't have them in stock currently but I found them here:

https://www.plastic-mart.com/product/913/55-gallon-portable-utility-tanks-sp0055-mm

 

 

 

water-station-full-2.png

Edited by freddyk
Oops
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CrabbyCrabs said:

How do you clean the build up or slime that occurs in the salt mixing tanks? 

Once per year I drain the saltwater tank, disconnect the plumbing (thankfully I used unions), and use a long handled mop (that has never touched any detergents) and garden hose to scrub the inside.  The deposits usually come off easily with plain water and a bit of friction.  Then I rinse it with a few gallons of RO/DI, let it air dry in the sun for a day, then put it back in place.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must be doing something wrong. I have 16 gallon barrels I use and have to clean them every month or so or they develop sludge on the bottom and start to stink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...