Had my first whoops, expensive mistake

CrazyInside

Had a 4th of July BBQ at the house yesterday, so before everyone got here I did a quick water change/cleaning on the tank then went on with the day. As I was heading to bed last night I looked at the tank and everything looked terrible. Went and grabbed my phone from the bedroom to see if I had any alerts... temp at 93 degrees. 

My apex runs my heater and shuts it off at 79.5 degrees, but after my water change when i turned everything on I set it to "On" instead of "auto"😰. Wouldn't have been a big deal if I had my phone on me last night as I would have revived the alerts when the tank hit 80.

Pretty much a total loss, every stick besides two are gone, and they might not even make it, every LPS melted including my giant octo and torch, not a single acan made it, most of the zoas and ricordias look okayish. And fish look fine but stressed.

I've never crashed a tank before, let alone by me rushing and not paying attention... pretty upsetting had some nice sticks... that are now just sticks 😑

Edited by CrazyInside
  • Sad 5

1 minute ago, CrazyInside said:

Had a 4th of July BBQ at the house yesterday, so before everyone got here I did a quick water change/cleaning on the tank then went on with the day. As I was heading to bed last night I looked at the tank and everything looked terrible. Went and grabbed my phone from the bedroom to see if I had any alerts... temp at 93 degrees. 

My apex runs my heater and shuts it off at 79.5 degrees, but after my water change when i turned everything on I set it to "On" instead of "auto"😰. Wouldn't have been a big deal if I had my phone on me last night as I would have revived the alerts when the tank hit 80.

Pretty much a total loss, every stick besides two are gone, and they might not even make it, every LPS melted including my giant octo and torch, most of the zoas and ricordias look okayish. And fish look fine but stressed.

I've never crashed a tank before, let alone by me rushing and not paying attention... pretty upsetting had some nice sticks... that are now just sticks 😑

Oh no!  So sorry to hear this.  Even when you think you have everything covered and failsafes in place things like this can smack you down.  I hope you are able to bounce back quickly but I know it is really rough having to start over.

Ouch.  SO sorry to hear this. 😞

This has been one of my biggest worries, and so far I've religiously double-checked everything before walking away from my tank to make sure everything is set to Auto.  As an added failsafe, I have set up my Apex with a few virtual outputs I use for maintenance tasks as master On/Off switches.  This allows me to leave all the critical components set to Auto, and the programming turns them off when I'm doing maintenance.   Unfortunately this won't help for yesterday's mishap, but maybe it can help you and others here prevent future problems.

Let me know if want me to go over your Apex setup to help set up some additional failsafes.

• Like 1

[language filter] sorry about that happening that sucks hope you recuperate it fast! This made me think though I measured my tank with my Hanna temp/salinity probe and it reads 77.9 and my apex temp probe reads 79.2 have you ever tested yours with other temp probes and are you fairly sure the temp probe with the apex is completely accurate? Sorry again about your loss! 

39 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Oh no!  So sorry to hear this.  Even when you think you have everything covered and failsafes in place things like this can smack you down.  I hope you are able to bounce back quickly but I know it is really rough having to start over.

Yeah I was just starting to like the way it looked too. Crazy a years worth of good growth can be wiped in a few hours time. 

24 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

Ouch.  SO sorry to hear this. 😞

This has been one of my biggest worries, and so far I've religiously double-checked everything before walking away from my tank to make sure everything is set to Auto.  As an added failsafe, I have set up my Apex with a few virtual outputs I use for maintenance tasks as master On/Off switches.  This allows me to leave all the critical components set to Auto, and the programming turns them off when I'm doing maintenance.   Unfortunately this won't help for yesterday's mishap, but maybe it can help you and others here prevent future problems.

Let me know if want me to go over your Apex setup to help set up some additional failsafes.

I’ve seen a couple people have it setup like that. Guess I need to join that group

23 minutes ago, Lazyreefer said:

[language filter] sorry about that happening that sucks hope you recuperate it fast! This made me think though I measured my tank with my Hanna temp/salinity probe and it reads 77.9 and my apex temp probe reads 79.2 have you ever tested yours with other temp probes and are you fairly sure the temp probe with the apex is completely accurate? Sorry again about your loss! 

It’s within a degree, tested with multiple thermometers. 

Here’s what total destruction looks like in chart form

AA2D2A3B-174C-4A37-8BDE-87919F64DB6E.png

• Sad 3

15 minutes ago, Manny Tavan said:

what is your heater set at?

I set my apex around 77 and my heater around 78

I’m using a finnex titanium heater without a thermostat on it. Just using the apex to control it. Hind sight, bad idea

Sorry for your lost... Sometimes we have to be a total pessimist and think of all possible worst case scenarios when programming fail-safes.

I can give you some red Monti cap, grape monti, and unknown green Monti to help you restock if you like.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CrazyInside said:

I’m using a finnex titanium heater without a thermostat on it. Just using the apex to control it. Hind sight, bad idea

Agreed, but we live and we learn in this hobby. Every one of us including those of us who have been in the hobby for decades have made mistakes or bad decisions. The one thing I would also like to point out is the Apex Temp probes need to be calibrated as they deviate over time as well :)  

Lots of sage advice and generous souls helping out with this grim bit of business. An Aqualogic temp controller for a heater like that is not cheap but they are pro-grade and bulletproof. I use them on closed systems in my lab and my colleagues use them on smaller-volume systems at the Aquarium.

https://www.marinedepot.com/aqua-logic-digital-temperature-controller-single-stage

Very sorry that your system is down. I think we've all been struck by that lightning at least once. It's an awful feeling. But props to those offering to help get this system turned around! Polyp extension is a marvelous antidote to the blues. Must be the dopamine........

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CrazyInside said:

Ouch.  This is why I only use heaters with a thermostat or built in controller and the tank controller as the failsafe.  I know it doesn't help now and, no matter what, it's basically impossible to make these systems completely "human" proof.  At least you have lots of good company on this one.  Best of luck with the reboot.

• Like 1

I've got a few sps you can frag. My Cali tort is too big and I am moving out of state. Maybe a hammer or candy cane. They have been through a lot so should be tough. I can't keep the Cali frags attached to plugs so I can just break you off a big chunk if you like.

• Like 3

Oh no I'm so sorry! I feel your pain I know the feeling, had a major crash when a heater got stuck on... Cooked everything in my tank, thousand $ plus down the drain. I almost gave up but I'm glad I didn't, we are all here to help you get back on your feet!!! Looks like you've already got offers from people willing to help you restart. I myself don't keep sps but I have several mushrooms and possibly some other things if you ever make it out my way

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've been using this for over 3 years now with no problems:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/jbj-true-temp-digital-heater-controller.html

I've never had to replace the probe either.  It is connected to 2x Finnex heaters which have also never failed me.  There's some complaint about it but I've never had any kind of an issue.  I have an actual thermometer I keep in the sump to verify temperature regularly too.  As a reefer with no interest in installing Neptune products, this was a much better option.  

• Like 1

Thank you everyone this forum is pretty amazing! 

Little update, I just finished pulling out most of the dead I could get off the rocks, did a big water change and all the fish/inverts are looking pretty good so that's a plus. I'm heading to Vegas in the morning until next Thursday so hopefully when I get back everything will have settled down and see what all pulled through coral wise. As of last night I still had 2 sps alive, out of around 30ish... so better than nothing I suppose. 

Ordered a controller for my heater for a backup to keep this from happening again, also when I get back i'll be going through my Apex to look for other redundancies I'm missing. 

And if anyone is interested, I have a lot of this rare white zombie sps for trade, may not get much growth... but it won't die on you either 😄 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CrazyInside said:

Thank you everyone this forum is pretty amazing! 

Little update, I just finished pulling out most of the dead I could get off the rocks, did a big water change and all the fish/inverts are looking pretty good so that's a plus. I'm heading to Vegas in the morning until next Thursday so hopefully when I get back everything will have settled down and see what all pulled through coral wise. As of last night I still had 2 sps alive, out of around 30ish... so better than nothing I suppose. 

Ordered a controller for my heater for a backup to keep this from happening again, also when I get back i'll be going through my Apex to look for other redundancies I'm missing. 

And if anyone is interested, I have a lot of this rare white zombie sps for trade, may not get much growth... but it won't die on you either 😄 

I’m glad you’re not giving up. This experience would make lots of people quit for a while . I hope the 2 sos left make it as they could be the solution to coral bleaching. 

There were many times I just didn’t run a heater because the tank didn’t get too cold with all the heat out by light and equipment.  I have seen many people post about how their tank crashed with a heater that exploded or was stuck on but you don’t see many about a tank crashing because the heater failed other than in the dead of winter for someone who either lost heat to the house or had their sump in the garage 

• Like 1

Imo the only thing in this hobby that needs a controller is a thermometer. As you know, nothing will nuke a tank faster than temps! Sometimes the complexity of the apex and other controllers outweigh their benefits. The last apex i had decided to just quit one day...luckily i was there, but if i wasn’t...well...yeah.

There is something safer about manually checking things and not relying on a computer...or relying on a human to program or restart said computer.

Best advice i ever heard: KISS your tank! Keep It Stupid Simple.

I’ve got some zoas/palys and a few sticks i’d be happy to help u get re-started. Oh and yeah, ditch the controller-less heaters! Use them for water changes...otherwise they are too risky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I've been using this for over 3 years now with no problems:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/jbj-true-temp-digital-heater-controller.html
I've never had to replace the probe either.  It is connected to 2x Finnex heaters which have also never failed me.  There's some complaint about it but I've never had any kind of an issue.  I have an actual thermometer I keep in the sump to verify temperature regularly too.  As a reefer with no interest in installing Neptune products, this was a much better option.  
I use something similar on my tanks, like $30 on Amazon. Plug a heater in the hot outlet a fan in the cold, I've actually ran one of my tanks for quite some time without a heater relying on just the heat from the pumps and light, kept temp around ~77. I was very scared to use a heater again after my crash, these cheaper controllers do give me some peace of mind though. Mine got stuck in the on position, happened of course while we were gone. Came back to a smell, my tank was at 93 degrees and all my fish were dead. All of my corals died except I think a bubble tip survived and some palys. When I grabbed the heater that red light was on and it was hot to the touch.. . I was so upset. I'm so glad now I didn't give up, I really wanted to it was devastating. I had been saving up buying a coral here and there, and to see it all gone just like that there are no words. My clownfish bothered me most, I had them the longest and were my favorite. They had JUST started spawning [emoji24]

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk