Thunderstorm, tornado, and power outage

Yesterday’s sudden thunderstorm and the EF-0 tornado that tracked through NE Portland left a lot of people without power.  I hope none of you suffered any damage, and hope your tanks are OK.

This is probably a good reminder to be prepared for power outages. If you don’t have a portable generator, you might want to consider picking one up.  At a minimum, you should have a plan on how you’ll keep water moving and oxygenated in your tank.  Perhaps a battery powered pump and airstone will get you by.  Be prepared.

• Like 4

After watching the BRS video a couple weeks ago with their tripped GFI, I went out and got a UPS from Best Buy for $150, it will power my  Nero 5 for about 15 hours, I should be able to stretch it out longer if I turn down the flow rate.  After that I will be stirring the tank by hand.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, albertareef said:

Yep - missed us by two blocks.  Also only one block away from the intersection with the giant water main break a while back.  Rough times in neighborhood! 

1.  Flooding

2.  Tornado

3.  Snakes or locusts?  (not sure what's next in the sequence)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Suncrest is absolutely right about a generator. June 12th my power went out due to the record heat. The power was out for more than 5 hours my Honda generator saved my tank. I highly recommend the Honda generators they have clean power for electronics and run quiet. They are more compact and can be easily transported. The generator ran all components of my 200 gallon tank with no problems.

• Like 1