New Build Phase Two: Sump

I finally got my sump from Crystal Reef Aquatics. I'm super excited for this beauty.

Dimensions: 60"long, 22" wide, 16" tall

86 gallons.

I made some little tweaks to fit my setup. The main one being rather than have the drain tubes cut in through the top, I had him shorten up the top brace and cut the drain holes in through the side. I also cut a hole for a 1" PVC line that will be plumbed directly to my water changing station.

I had a little hole cut in the back to mount a float valve. My RODI line is plumbed directly to the tank using a solenoid, so the float valve serves as a failsafe in case the solenoid gives out. 

Last, I had some lids made to cover the non skimmer areas. 20190629_190508.thumb.jpg.3d2d016ca58a8e444e22b4b3a040421e.jpg

I will say, he did a great job with packing it all up. I now have more styrofoam peanuts than I could use in a lifetime. 

20190629_190516.thumb.jpg.505621684204db5095dfed565c6eb933.jpg

20190629_190540.thumb.jpg.6de1532d982c9beadfee4d364fef0770.jpg

20190629_190609.thumb.jpg.fcc316668a4d4885423162fba8f8640b.jpg

20190629_190616.thumb.jpg.a494ec8189eed0f3298f33787d634678.jpg

20190629_192051.thumb.jpg.54197bd2d2712c6edefee776a689f61e.jpg

• Like 5

Now for my feedback on the tank. The sump is absolutely beautiful! The design is well thought out and structurally is solid. It's only ¼ acrylic, but it's very sturdy. The sump package included a lot of things that most every other company charged piecemeal. So it was nice to order from a company that didn't seem like it was nickel and diming you. Things like heater mounts, probe holders, filter sock holders, etc. all came standard on the unit.

The outer seams which connect the four panels, as well as top and bottom are near perfect. The actually seams are in fact spotless, just a little cement spillage in a few places outside the seam.

The seams in between the main panels and the baffles are not so perfect. I'm honestly not sure how one even welds the baffles to the walls of the sump, but the seam does not need to perfect. I think it's mostly cosmetic as the sump structure comes from the outside welds and the top brace. 

If you look close next to the depth ruler, you can see what I'm talking about. 

20190629_195605.thumb.jpg.cf71208e4098928212e3c99e147e79ae.jpg

Overall I'm really stoked with CRA and their build quality. 

20190629_201108.thumb.jpg.9a6750304c7ddca49f0dd595d22a5cf3.jpg

• Like 5

Just now, Higher Thinking said:

Thanks! I updated the main post. So eager to post pictures, I forgot the basics emoji16.pngemoji16.png

60x22x16, 86 gallons.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Your sump is nearly the volume of my display tank.  😞

Looking forward to seeing your build come together!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looking really amazing Andrew!  That sump makes me totally jealous.  I'm very excited for you and to see what you can do with it.  Your old tank was amazing so I'm sure this one will be too!
Thanks man, I appreciate it! Looking forward to how it turns out by next year.
Straight up baller

Sent from Atlantis [emoji1690]

Thank you! I'll be honest, this ended up being much higher caliber than I originally planned. My sump search started with me looking for a 90 or 120 gal tank and I was going to build my own baffles. Then it just slowly shifted more and more.
Appears they know how to package for shipping, that's for sure. Only way to do better is a full on crate. Wish all shippers did that well. Amazing sump too
Yeah I hear ya. Thanks!

• Like 2

Have to say, that's about 16 times sexier than any of the overly pimped-out and ostentatious BashSea sumps I see at trade shows. Look at all that access from the top to work on LSS components and keep this beauty clean. You oughta be smilin', you're stylin'!

• Like 1

Have to say, that's about 16 times sexier than any of the overly pimped-out and ostentatious BashSea sumps I see at trade shows. Look at all that access from the top to work on LSS components and keep this beauty clean. You oughta be smilin', you're stylin'!

Haha, I looked at those sumps too. I wasn't a fan of them in the end. The worst part for me was the depth was only 15". I hear what you're saying about them being pretty gaudy.

This is a sharp and practical looking sump for sure.  Nice choice Andrew - can't wait to see the whole system up and running!

Thanks man! Overflows are still a couple weeks away, but hopefully I'll have everything running by month's end.

Wow, looks great!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks Daniel! I'm still a ways away from purchasing a new light, but I'm certainly eyeballing your new product!

• Like 1