Nori Making Skimmer Foam Like Crazy??

TaylorW

So I bought a Kole Tang a couple days ago, been quite a while since I've had a Tang so I bought some Nori. Almost immediately after putting the Nori on an algae clip my Skimmer started going nuts and frothing, bubbles bubbles everywhere. I just bought it from the grocery store (Safeway) it's a different brand than I used to buy at Winco I can't remember what brand I used to buy at Winco but I never had this problem with it. I've attached a pic of what I bought. What brand would anyone recommend that won't make my skimmer go nuts??? I think I'll just have to make the drive to WinCo? I read the packaging before I bought it, it's just Nori seaweed no flavorings or anything but I did just notice it's roasted. I don't know if that could make any difference? e255031c40c47caa5e1018e274e478ee.jpg

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've bought both, it's basically the same (sometimes the fish stuff has garlic added). When I buy nori I look for dried organic (but I've used roasted in the past), I check the ingredients (only seaweed), and lastly I check the sodium content. For some reason some of them that only have seaweed as an ingredient end up with way more sodium than others so I pass on those. Fwiw I always buy mine at the local Asian supermarket. 

• Like 1

Actually now that I look at it my last bag was this one from Amazon. It is roasted which I dont prefer but is organic and has 0 sodium. After looking up the one that your using I would have no problem feeding it to my fish. Oh yeah, and lets see that kole tang! 

Screenshot_2019-06-13-07-33-58.png

Edited by xxkenny90xx
  • Like 2

The ones ment for human consumption will usually have a small amount of oils from the manufacturing process, even if they are 100% seaweed.  I used to use them whe I ran out of the "fish" stuff.  The Skimmer would do some overtime but I never saw any ill effects

• Like 2

Actually now that I look at it my last bag was this one from Amazon. It is roasted which I dont prefer but is organic and has 0 sodium. After looking up the one that your using I would have no problem feeding it to my fish. Oh yeah, and lets see that kole tang! 
Screenshot_2019-06-13-07-33-58.thumb.png.53f844cc1e1cf9be75b76f3b3415b3ae.png
I'll try and get some pics when I get home, it's still pretty shy when I get close to the tank but I'm hoping that doesn't last long

Taylor, I’ve found that the roasting process will take away about 90% of the real nutritional value away from the nori.  I would try to avoid that all together.
Wow that's interesting I never knew that, I'll try a different kind. I've always bought the same kind in the past but I live out by hagg lake and Safeway just happened to be closest.

I use the $2.00 bag from WinCo. Works great.  Be sure it only contains seaweed. 
That's the kind I've always bought, I'll probably just have to make the drive to WinCo today. I just couldn't believe how this stuff I bought made my skimmer foam like that.

I use this:5CA0DCA0-1215-476F-A4C5-062CC0CCE730.thumb.png.0a30a99e461817a92f35c8bac1f70d45.png

It says “100% dried seaweed”.

It’s never caused any problem with my skimmer.  Kole tang loves it!

130B02DB-503D-4F0C-9768-1854ED475965.thumb.png.137f7d225cefb2443616371d00bd5063.png

I'll probably order something like this too, I'm going to Winco after work and picking up the kind I always used to buy. I never had problems with my skimmer with it and my tangs loved it, it's just a bit longer drive but I need some asap. I love this fish, it's so beautiful!! I'm hoping it gets over it's shyness fast though 

2 hours ago, Alterego said:

Taylor, I’ve found that the roasting process will take away about 90% of the real nutritional value away from the nori.  I would try to avoid that all together.

Hey I have no info to dispute this and definately can see how roasting could cook away some nutrients, but how did you come to the 90% conclusion? If this is fact then I'll definately stick with the dried stuff. 

• Like 2

On 6/13/2019 at 7:36 AM, xxkenny90xx said:

This is exactly what I use.  They absolutely devour it.   

• Like 2

This is exactly what I use.  They absolutely devour it.   
So apparently roasted doesn't make a difference? Someone said it takes away a lot of the nutrition but I can't find anywhere where it states it as fact, and the kind I bought from WinCo yesterday that I always bought before is roasted as well... My main concern originally was finding a brand that won't make my Skimmer freak out with foam. I just bought the WinCo kind and will try it today when I get home but I will buy something like this as well, I just needed something for now

• Like 2

On 6/13/2019 at 7:36 AM, xxkenny90xx said:

I've been using this for a couple years now.  It's always done the trick and no, it hasn't ever caused a skimmer reaction.  

• Like 2

I've been using this for a couple years now.  It's always done the trick and no, it hasn't ever caused a skimmer reaction.  
Nice, must be a good product for how many people are using it. I'll order it then [emoji106]

• Like 1

Fwiw this is the dried (not roasted) stuff that I usually buy at the asain supermarket (but it comes in a blue bag and I don't think it says toasted). Of course the Amazon stuff is much cheaper and more convenient 

Screenshot_2019-06-14-15-36-42.png

Edited by xxkenny90xx
  • Like 1