Disaster planning

SuncrestReef

After 30 years in the IT industry, I'm a strong proponent for redundant systems and disaster recovery planning.  So far in my aquarium build, I've taken several steps to ensure I'm prepared for problems:

1. Spare parts for critical components:  COR-20 return pump, WAV and Gyre powerheads, heater, PMUP, power adapters
  2. UPS Battery backup and Apex programming for power outages
  3. Whole-house generator with auto transfer switch for prolonged power outages
  4. Backup copies of Apex configuration, along with printed copies of the configuration
  5. At least 40 gallons of RO/DI and saltwater on hand at all times, up to 75 gallons storage capacity for each, and spare buckets of salt
  6. Equipment to set up a quarantine tank if needed, including MarinePure blocks in my sump to seed bacteria in the QT
  7. Written documentation/instructions for a tank sitter or LFS staff to help if I'm not available

The only thing I've been missing up until now is a spare Apex and EB832.  Well, now I can check that off my list as well!  I ordered the Apex 2016 head unit and an EB832 to keep on my spare parts shelf.  I also walked through the process of restoring my saved Apex config to the new Apex to confirm it reads the file properly and all the programming comes across.  So far it looks like it will work fine.  The only thing I'll need to do if my primary Apex fails is to be sure to plug the add-on modules into the new Apex in the proper sequence so they maintain their previously assigned AquaBus addresses.

Call me paranoid, but I like to be prepared!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

I want to see the handbook you were writing for your wife....

Loved that thread.

I didn't quite go to the extreme detail I was planning, but i did write up a pretty detailed user guide for my tank sitter.  Attached is a copy with the private details stripped out.

Aquarium Instructions Template.pdf

• Like 1

I didn't quite go to the extreme detail I was planning, but i did write up a pretty detailed user guide for my tank sitter.  Attached is a copy with the private details stripped out.Aquarium Instructions Template.pdf    

Oh wow I love this [emoji16] my tank sitter (and my dogs, cats and ferrets sitter) is a 13 year old girl from down the street. She comes over quite often to hang out with my daughter and stare at my tanks so she asks tons of questions, she has it down so there's nothing I even say except when we are coming back. My tanks are pretty automated, probably not like yours though so really the only thing she does is a visual check, empties skimmate if needed. I have Eheim automatic feeders so she feeds frozen every other day while I'm gone. I got a Kole Tang (first Tang I've got since the crash a couple years ago) yesterday so I'll be adding feeding Nori to that list. This is my first Kole tang, I was originally planning on a Blue Hippo Tang but I saw kjlife who lives less than a mile from my work selling his 65 gallon on this forum with fish, corals and I couldn't resist the Kole so I picked it up yesterday after work. Beautiful fish, I'm glad now I chose a Kole since I still haven't decided yet what size I'll be upgrading my 75 to next year, and from what I understand the Kole tangs tend to stay in the smaller side for a Tang which is good in case I decide to upgrade in the ~100 gallon range instead of something even bigger which my husband would absolutely love [emoji23] (he would NOT love...) Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk   

• Like 1

Just wanted to give a shout out to John here. Another shining example of his amazing organizational skills, tech savvy, and incredible generosity in sharing his skills and hard work. I, for one, and greatly benefiting from his knowledge and generosity.

Three cheers for John!

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1