Bacterial Infection treatment concerns

Snappy

Got a bottle of bacterial infection remedy from the store. It seemed to alter my corals. Many don't open up or open up as fully since.

I've had many variables in reef lately, mainly temperature swings. Trying my best to get things stable, but the struggle is real. I only had to start running the air conditioner near the reef around the same time, which might be affecting the visuals of reef health.

Has anyone on here successfully treated fish disease in their display tank without hurting corals? I'm afraid my anthias might not survive many more days, but after the first dose I'm reluctant to dose the remaining 6-12 treatments.

Thanks

😟

Imagitarium (Petco) Bacterial Treatment Remedy. They didn't have the Seachem brand at the store. Stresscoat mentioned on the bottle that its best for transferring and not injured fish. With being unable to properly identify it on the fish aside from rotting of side and rear fins I'm guessing its bacteria. Testing water tonight

And QT would be ideal, but I have 1 and only 1 tank and its my DT. Sad story, but thats life. Sadly I consider taking the remaining anthias out and trading them in towards clownfish. My anthias have been constant trouble.

I believe I've mentioned it before but I have that brand new 10 gallon if you'd like to have it for a quarantine it's yours along with anything else you may need, I'm sure I could meet you in McMinnville tomorrow during the day if you're available or Saturday to cut your driving time down to about 30 minutes or so that way you wouldn't have to drive all the way to hagg lake. I have extra hob filters and 50 watt heaters too all you'd need is a seeded sponge from someone's tank or sump, and maybe a hob skimmer if you choose. I don't have room for another tank myself (already have three reefs and my husband was complaining about the "empty" quarantine tank I had set up in my laundry room) so this is what I'll be doing now in the future for a quarantine tank, just keeping a sponge or two in my sump so I can quickly set up a quarantine and take it down when no longer needed. I know it's not as ideal as having one always set up but it works, and like I said before if you want the tank it's yours along with whatever else you need. If you decide to go this route just let me know, I'd take the mind blowing palys too if you decide to meet up. I also have an extra small fan if you'd like to try it on your tank to help with your temp swings.

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Appreciate the offer, but I have no extra room. In fact, it's getting more and more difficult to advocate for keeping my current tank given my spacing predicament, but I just can't seem to be able to live reef free. At least not well.

I have fans and AC, just need to find the proper balance. Also may need to clean aquarium heater and possibly re-install my 2nd heater that I've been using for the water changes.

I had some nitrate and phosphate show up in the testing that might be the culprit. Did water change last night.

• Like 2

Why is your temp swinging? Is it getting too cold? Too hot? Either way...need to keep that steady if you want long term success. Arguably nothing is more paramount to success than correct/stable temperature.

Too cold? Add wattage(get a bigger heater).

Too hot? Add air flow, air flow air flow. Your tank needs to breathe. If that isn’t enough a chiller may be in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Why is your temp swinging? Is it getting too cold? Too hot? Either way...need to keep that steady if you want long term success. Arguably nothing is more paramount to success than correct/stable temperature.  Too cold? Add wattage(get a bigger heater). Too hot? Add air flow, air flow air flow. Your tank needs to breathe. If that isn’t enough a chiller may be in order.    

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree [emoji817].I was having temp swings from 78-82-83 within 12 hours, was considering a chiller. When I was researching what to do I read these kinds of temp swings can make your fish more susceptible to diseases, I now use those cheap fans from Walmart aimed across my tanks and bought temp controllers for all my tanks and now I barely fluctuate a half degree so just doing that made a huge difference!! I have the fans on timers to come on a few minutes after my lights do. Someone recommended those temp controllers you use for reptiles and such and they're definitely worth it, I use one on all three of my tanks now. You can get them on Amazon for like ~$20. They keep your heater from getting stuck on (this caused my terrible crash a couple years ago, lost almost everything) and it's amazing how much of a difference a couple small fans aimed across your water makes.This is the temp controller I use on all my tanks, does as advertised. I like this one because if the power goes out it holds your settings, I've been using three of them for about two months or so and they've been great so far. I was using another brand on one of my tanks for about a year and a half but I would have to reset it if the power went out and it was annoyingSent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk  

a49b5eb03f78f5b01750c0d0fdb97821.jpg

• Like 1

Mine was getting too cold, so perhaps I needed a backup heater. I think my temperature swings were due to the weather not the treatment. AC running inside for the first time this season. I think the worst was probably 76/79.5°, so right about 3.5 degree change. I keep it about a 1° difference now when keeping house more consistent. I don’t have central AC, which is a challenge. My portable AC gets aimed directly at aquarium when too hot. I’ll look into that $22 fan idea. My consistent temperature control method is a high maintenance method indeed. 

• Like 1

Mine was getting too cold, so perhaps I needed a backup heater. I think my temperature swings were due to the weather not the treatment. AC running inside for the first time this season. I think the worst was probably 76/79.5°, so right about 3.5 degree change. I keep it about a 1° difference now when keeping house more consistent. I don’t have central AC, which is a challenge. My portable AC gets aimed directly at aquarium when too hot. I’ll look into that $22 fan idea. My consistent temperature control method is a high maintenance method indeed. 

As far as temp controllers go they all do the same thing but some hold their settings if you unplug or power goes out, some have one plug some have two plugs if you want to plug in multiple things, most cost between $20-$40 and Amazon is great, just look up aquarium temp controllers or reptile temp controllers. Whether your problem is too hot or too cold it will keep your temp consistent, and you plug your heater into it and it keeps your heater on until it gets to the correct temp and kicks it off so it doesn't get too hot (kind of like the heaters are SUPPOSED to do lol) As far as temp controllers go they all do the same thing but some will hold settings if power goes out and that's nice to have, most cost between $20-$40 online. Amazon is great for them, just look for aquarium temp controllers or reptile temp controllers. Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk  

What size heater are you currently using? I'm going to guess you're using a 50 watt? A 75 watt or 100 would be perfect for a 28 gallon, I've used used 75's and 100's on my 29 gallons in the past. You could even use two 50 watts. I have quite a few spare heaters if you lived closer you could have from when I took down my Show Guppy tanks last year mostly 50 watt. It also makes a difference what brand you use too I've found out over the years. But if you use a controller it should help take out some of the guess work, I'm using Eheim Jagers on two tanks right now and they seem to heat better so you could probably get away with a smaller wattage with one

That was going to be my next question is if I get the temp probe that goes in the water or not.

The one I have is waterproof, a lot like the one I have is sold for home brewing, aquariums and reptiles, it has a plug for hot and for cold so you could plug a heater in the hot a fan in the cold. That's how I have it on two tanks, the other I just have the fan on a timer. If you read the details on them it will tell you if it's waterproof. When you do the search look for aquarium temp controllers and chances are they're waterproof

• Like 1