Fritz RPM Pro salt vs trident

CrazyInside

I’ve been using fritz for awhile now and love it. Opened a new box this weekend and did a water change on the tank with it. The alk is suppose to be 8.5 when mixed up. Well after a 20 gallon water change my alk dropped a fair bit, alk and calcium should have gone up.

Ill have to make up a 5 gallon bucket and test it tonight to see what’s up. 

You can see where I changed the water, it tested and immediately kicked the doser on  

E71B4692-6E79-48AF-9DD9-AEA5824FD1C3.jpeg

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, albertareef said:

That is disturbing.  Would have to be a significant difference for a 20% change to bring the setpoint down that far unless something else funky was going on.  Does everything look OK?

Everything in the tank looks fine, saw nothing weird until the trident did it’s testing and sent me an alert. Will be interesting to test a fresh batch tonight

13 minutes ago, ChrisQ said:

I'm going to follow this, i mixed 40g the other day from an older box of fritz and it came out at about 5.3 alk

I have a feeling this is what I’m going to find. I’ve never had an issue with this salt and this was the first batch from a new box. 

53 minutes ago, CrazyInside said:

I have a feeling this is what I’m going to find. I’ve never had an issue with this salt and this was the first batch from a new box. 

Kinda bummed, i just bought a fresh box couple days ago, haven't opened it yet but im going to and ill also run some tests.

edit: We're talking about blue boxes right? Not red.

Edited by ChrisQ

3 hours ago, CrazyInside said:

This might be a dumb question, but did you double-check the salinity of the new water?  Is it possible you didn't add enough salt mix into the water, causing the lower alk as well as lower salinity?  Just trying to rule out another variable.

41 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

This might be a dumb question, but did you double-check the salinity of the new water?  Is it possible you didn't add enough salt mix into the water, causing the lower alk as well as lower salinity?  Just trying to rule out another variable.

Didn’t have lower salinity, always check with a refractometer. 

And for an update to this I just mixed up a fresh 5 gallon and got 5.9alk with sailfert test kit. Looks like I got a bad batch. 

3 hours ago, ChrisQ said:

Kinda bummed, i just bought a fresh box couple days ago, haven't opened it yet but im going to and ill also run some tests.

edit: We're talking about blue boxes right? Not red.

Yes blue box, tested new batch at 5.9. 

On the plus side, already digging the trident for these random mishaps. I’ve used rpm forever without issues, it just happened to catch one bad batch. So that’s a win in my book 👍😁

Edited by CrazyInside
  • Like 3

Yet another example of how useful the Trident can be!  How long do you think it would have taken you to discover this drop in alk without it?  

A few weeks ago I had a big drop in alkalinity after I changed out the GFO media in my reactor, and the Trident revealed this within a couple hours.  Before this, I never knew GFO impacted alkalinity.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

Yet another example of how useful the Trident can be!  How long do you think it would have taken you to discover this drop in alk without it?  

A few weeks ago I had a big drop in alkalinity after I changed out the GFO media in my reactor, and the Trident revealed this within a couple hours.  Before this, I never knew GFO impacted alkalinity.

Well I made sure to get a trident on release day because I’m lazy with testing... so either this weekend during maintenance time or when stuff looked pissed off and I decided to test haha. 

I got my dos hooked up and running so it’s already fixing the tank for me which is nice. The calcium and mag tested fine on the new batch so I’ll just add a bit of alk buffer to my water changes until I get through this box. 

Truthfully I think apex and their trident is single handily going to keep my sps alive/growing 😂 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CrazyInside said:

I posted them above. Tested at 5.9

Very odd.  Is there a batch number or other identifier such that this could be reported back to the company?  Just seems way off from what their target likely is and, obviously, what your prior experience indicates.