Variable flow for Acropora?

Spschampion

Hi, had a question for the group. I’ve just recently been bit by the Acropora bug. I’ve been researching their care and keep seeing variable high flow listed as a requirement. I have a 75 gallon 5’ long display tank. On each side I have two 850 GPH powerheads for a total of four for the entire aquarium. During the day all four run full blast. At night, just one from each side run. I have them pointed, so that the streams intersect and create a intersecting randomized flow. Is this sufficient? Are variable speed powerheads really necessary? They’re expensive, so if I can get away without them that’d be nice. Acropora, I currently have seem healthy and are starting to encrust, so I assume it’s good enough. Thanx for the help! 

That should be sufficient.  I've found my acro's do well except if they are right in front of a powerhead.  In too much non-stop direct flow they don't extend their polyps.

Another thing that can help is to add a random flow generator nozzle to your return pipe:

https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/product-spotlight/random-flow-generator/

Vortechs are worth ever penny imo. Most people start off buying a whole bunch of inexpensive powerheads, and then eventually see the value in a more natural flow. It will benefit all corals, not just acros.

Jebao among others make some less expensive controllable units...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Two words...maxspect gyre.

I love my gyre!  Do you run yours in one direction only, or alternate forward and reverse?  I recently changed mine to alternating and it seems to have a very nice effect on the overall tank flow.

I’ve got broken jebaos, busted gyres and a couple vortechs with bad wetsides laying around. Some are just more expensive paperweights than others at this point. They all break eventually.

My best sps tank i ran jebao dc return pump and jebao rw20’s for years.

If you read the big boards you’ll see the exact same responses as here...some people have great success while others experience failures with the knock off pumps.

If your budget allows, buy the good brands...if not, try the imports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

I love my gyre!  Do you run yours in one direction only, or alternate forward and reverse?  I recently changed mine to alternating and it seems to have a very nice effect on the overall tank flow.

I have mine set to a 1 min forward ramp-up. Then 20 seconds reverse flow, not sure if it’s good but everything seems happy. 

12 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Mine go through 6 or 8 different cycles throughout the day.

So alternating, synced, full blast, unsynced, backwards, slow, pulsing, fast pulsing...

All I know is the corals are happy :)

The gyres are great but the require a lot of cleaning.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Did you program that with the apex or is that an option with the maxspect controller?

All my corals seem happy for the most part. I added two hydro 850 gph about two week ago. They’re blowing at each other, full blast ,but shut off at night. I will say the plating montipora I have seem to have taken off in growth. I made several hopefully positive changes recently so I can’t say it’s just that. I’ve heard people say that corals need to be hit with flow from all sides. I have that happening. Some people say that the variable flow is not necessary but the corals will grow in odd configurations. I ordered some dc VFS JEBAO for now. I’m curious if it will improve coral health/growth. Guess we will see