7~8yr old reef getting its first coralline!

xxkenny90xx

7 or 8 years and I've never had coralline (well maybe a little of the green stuff). Now that I'm doing more lps and sps, got rid of the Kent salt, and started "chasing parameters" it's popping up everywhere. Very excited (but at the same time dredding it)! 

20190603_151803.jpg

• Like 4

7 or 8 years and I've never had coralline (well maybe a little of the green stuff). Now that I'm doing more lps and sps, got rid of the Kent salt, and started "chasing parameters" it's popping up everywhere. Very excited (but at the same time dredding it)! 20190603_151803.thumb.jpg.1eaf34b0bf145985c5b185e7f5fe2992.jpg      

Keeping your parameters stable will make the stuff grow faster so keep doing what you've been doing and it will be everywhere in no time! A few years ago I was having trouble with my first reef tank getting corraline to grow and read everything you can imagine lol. I was about 7 months in and there wasn't much at all, maybe a few spots on the rocks but nothing on the glass. I think I was hoping for a magic instant solution, during my internet searches it kept popping up corraline grows when your calcium and alk are at good levels, and try to keep your nitrates and phosphates down... Started getting my nitrates down and putting kalk in my ATO and of course it took off from there. I still just use kalkwasser in all my tanks ato's, will be switching to 2 part possibly soon though on my 50. A little nervous about it though because I've had great success with just kalk. Now that you're seeing it pop up just wait until your scrubbing it off your pumps, you'll be cursing the stuff lol. I recently got a coral from someone that has that beautiful dark red corraline on the rock the coral was on and I just started noticing small splotches of it on different rocks, from what I read different corraline will compete with each other so I guess what colors you end up most with are the winners [emoji3] I'm hoping the red corraline wins in the end Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk     

7 or 8 years and I've never had coralline (well maybe a little of the green stuff). Now that I'm doing more lps and sps, got rid of the Kent salt, and started "chasing parameters" it's popping up everywhere. Very excited (but at the same time dredding it)! 
20190603_151803.thumb.jpg.1eaf34b0bf145985c5b185e7f5fe2992.jpg
Curious what kind of salt you're using now? What made you switch from Kent?

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

Salt has absolutely nothing to do with Coraline. You can find it growing in any well maintained Reef Tank using whatever salt available on the market including Instant Oceans. The only 2 conditions that must be met is that it is Introduced to the tank via Snail Shell, Rock, Coral Plug etc. and that you maintain adequate parameters for growth. I would not attribute your success to getting rid of Kent (though they have proven in the past to lack on quality control) I would attribute it to taking interest in maintaining proper parameters. Congratulations! The best part is when it decides to take hold of the glass, powerheads, and other equipment in the tank to ensure you are cleaning it more often ;)

• Like 2

@Exodus already said it about the parameters but I'd like to specify from my own experience that lighting can make or break your coralline production.  Having an incorrect spectrum on my last light completely hampered all algae growth except the wrong kinds.  Once I switched over to the Hydra's, coralline has quickly infested everything just like my old tank.  

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Taylor it's funny you say that, I'm noticing red coralline on my pumps and purple on my rocks. As far as salt, I was getting a great deal on Kent from Dr fosters and Smith for a long time but that's over now so I switched to liveaquaria (and kalk in the ato). I do agree that good parameters will grow coralline regardless of salt brand but Kent calls itself a reef salt and doesn't contain the #s to grow coralline in the softie only tank I kept for years, so ya, salt does have something to do with it (sorry, just a little rant) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, xxkenny90xx said:

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Taylor it's funny you say that, I'm noticing red coralline on my pumps and purple on my rocks. As far as salt, I was getting a great deal on Kent from Dr fosters and Smith for a long time but that's over now so I switched to liveaquaria (and kalk in the ato). I do agree that good parameters will grow coralline regardless of salt brand but Kent calls itself a reef salt and doesn't contain the #s to grow coralline in the softie only tank I kept for years, so ya, salt does have something to do with it (sorry, just a little rant) 

I was just wondering if your lightning was not up to par (pun intended)  if it was just a softie tank?