Achilles Tang with pop eye

Manny Tavan

Sorry to hear.  I know that Terry and Tewsly at Seahorse successfully treated an Achilles for this a couple of months back in the shop... maybe check in with them and see what course of treatment they used?  It recovered really well and was a beautiful fish.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Sorry to hear.  I know that Terry and Tewsly at Seahorse successfully treated an Achilles for this a couple of months back in the shop... maybe check in with them and see what course of treatment they used?  It recovered really well and was a beautiful fish.

That might be my fish. Terry had him for over a month and i’ve had him for a month now

Edited by Manny Tavan

My chief concern when this happens is the greatly increased likelihood of recurring and worsening injuries to the same eye. As the the critter can't see out of it for the moment, it's much more likely to bonk it against something unforgiving, such as (shudder) live rock, which could make for a ragged insult that would forever luxate the lens and blind that eye. If you're able, consider moving this animal to a hospital tank with few objects that could worsen that eye. The greatest risk there is this animal bolting blind into something during capture. Go easy with this. Depending on the situation, a fish trap might be the way to go.

With the Rockfish eye injuries I treat at HMSC, seems like when they have had one, they are much more likely to continue to have them. Good luck with this and please keep us posted. Beautiful animal.

Edited by IntoTheMystic
  • Like 1

He probably got injured being chased by the yellow tangs when he first went in a few days ago. He was the last tang to be added but he’s now the boss and no one chases him anymore. Hopefully he’ll heal without having to take him out. I feel the stress of taking him out and eventually reintroducing him again to a tank full of tangs will be more harmful

• Like 1