Apex Classic Question

MorseReef

Hello all you control freaks.  I am new to the apex fusion platform. I just picked up a used apex classic for the time being until I can put the full Apex into the budget.  I have a few questions for the people that use these.

1. What does the Icon drop down menu do in "output configuration"?

2. I put a couple of pictures on my media section using links to a drop box.  This works on my laptop and sows my pictures.  When I open fusion on any other device the pictures do not display. 

3. How often do you need to calibrate the PH probe?  And how often does the probe need to be replaced.  I was told my apex is about 1 year old. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

10 minutes ago, MorseReef said:

Hello all you control freaks.  I am new to the apex fusion platform. I just picked up a used apex classic for the time being until I can put the full Apex into the budget.  I have a few questions for the people that use these.

1. What does the Icon drop down menu do in "output configuration"?

It defines the icon that would be displayed for that outlet if you have the old Display module.  It has no use if you only use a web browser or the Fusion app.

2. I put a couple of pictures on my media section using links to a drop box.  This works on my laptop and sows my pictures.  When I open fusion on any other device the pictures do not display. 

Is the DropBox link password protected?  Your laptop probably has the password cached but other devices don’t.

3. How often do you need to calibrate the PH probe?  And how often does the probe need to be replaced.  I was told my apex is about 1 year old. 

I’ve heard they only need calibration if you notice a significant drift in readings or after cleaning the probe.  Mine has been fine for just over a year now.  I think they have a life of 3 to 4 years, but you might want to look that up to confirm.

Thanks in advance for your help.

My answers above in bold.

Suncrest,

I am doing some dry testing.

I have an automatic feeder and when I hit feed mode A: the return pump stops, the skimmer stops, and the AFS starts.  The problem I am having is that the DT is still draining into the sump while the AFS is going to be dumping food right next to the over flow.  is there a way to delay the AFS by 1 minutes after the feed mode A button is pressed?

26 minutes ago, MorseReef said:

Suncrest,

I am doing some dry testing.

I have an automatic feeder and when I hit feed mode A: the return pump stops, the skimmer stops, and the AFS starts.  The problem I am having is that the DT is still draining into the sump while the AFS is going to be dumping food right next to the over flow.  is there a way to delay the AFS by 1 minutes after the feed mode A button is pressed?

You may be able to add a "Defer 001:00 Then ON" statement to the AFS programming.  Alternatively you could use a feeding ring to prevent the food from floating to the overflow.  I made a simple feeding ring out of a plastic food storage container that worked really well:

DAD43F12-D452-42E6-BE22-BBB2E997F0D9.jpeg

It fits between the AFS clamp and the tank glass to hold it in place:

91612A02-BE82-437A-998D-A68B076D0507.jpeg

EFAC2E83-53F7-417E-93AC-138F87F219C9.jpeg

• Like 2

The Defer statement would just go at the end.  However, the Defer would take effect any time the AFS is activated, not just when you manually press Feed A.  If it's automatically triggered by the OSC and If Time statements, the 1 minute delay would prevent it from running at all because the OSC timers only keep it on for 30 seconds.  You'd probably need to do something like this:

OSC 000:00/001:30/000:30 Then ON
If Time 00:00 to 19:00 Then OFF
If Time 19:04 to 00:00 Then OFF
If FeedA 000 Then ON
Defer 001:00 Then ON

I basically added one minute to the OSC's ON cycle, and doubled the time window that the AFS would be active to compensate for the 1 minute delays the Defer introduces.

I know that may be hard to decipher, so let me know if it makes sense or if you need further clarification.

SuncrestReef,

after reading another one of your tutorials this morning.  I don't believe I need the OSC line at all, do I? 

My target is to get the AFS to come on at  7 PM each night.  what do you think about this program?

Fallback OFF
If Time 00:00 to 19:00 Then ON
If FeedA 000 Then ON

23 minutes ago, MorseReef said:

SuncrestReef,

after reading another one of your tutorials this morning.  I don't believe I need the OSC line at all, do I? 

My target is to get the AFS to come on at  7 PM each night.  what do you think about this program?

Fallback OFF
If Time 00:00 to 19:00 Then ON
If FeedA 000 Then ON

The feeder will rotate one time each time it is powered on.  The OSC command is really only needed if you want multiple rotations in a single feeding session.

Your code above would actually turn the feeder on at midnight due to the first If Time 00:00 command.  I'd recommend this instead:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 19:00 to 19:04 Then ON
If FeedA 000 Then ON

Thank you.  I will copy your code exactly and give it a try tonight.

Now I am trying to get my skimmer programmed. 

I want the skimmer to follow the return pump, in my case "Returnpump5".  What do you think about this program?

I am not sure I got the line "If FeedA 005 Then OFF" correct.  What does the 005 represent in here?  

Fallback ON
Set ON
If Output Returnpump5 = OFF Then OFF
If FeedA 005 Then OFF
Defer 005:00 Then ON

Forgive me if I don't know why my program is set the way it is.  My 12 year old son grabs my tablet and reprograms things in an effort to help his non tech savvy dad..

28 minutes ago, MorseReef said:

Thank you.  I will copy your code exactly and give it a try tonight.

Now I am trying to get my skimmer programmed. 

I want the skimmer to follow the return pump, in my case "Returnpump5".  What do you think about this program?

I am not sure I got the line "If FeedA 005 Then OFF" correct.  What does the 005 represent in here?  

Fallback ON
Set ON
If Output Returnpump5 = OFF Then OFF
If FeedA 005 Then OFF
Defer 005:00 Then ON

Forgive me if I don't know why my program is set the way it is.  My 12 year old son grabs my tablet and reprograms things in an effort to help his non tech savvy dad..

I’ll be describing Feed Modes in detail with my Saturday installment, but for now here’s the quick summary.

When you click a Feed Mode button, it starts a countdown timer.  Once the timer expires, Feed Mode is deactivated.

In your code, the numbers after the FeedA (or B, C, D) is an optional amount of time to extend the delay.  In your case, the skimmer will remain OFF for 5 extra minutes after the Feed Mode timer expires, plus another 5 minutes due to your Defer command.

• 1 month later...

SuncrestReef,

I don't think that my apex classic has all the same features as the newer apex.  I can't seem to do virtual outputs and a few other minor things.  I might be upgrading to the newer apex soon and trying to decide if the salinity probe and ORP probe are worth the extra money?  what are your thoughts on the apex el vs regular apex?

14 minutes ago, MorseReef said:

SuncrestReef,

I don't think that my apex classic has all the same features as the newer apex.  I can't seem to do virtual outputs and a few other minor things.  I might be upgrading to the newer apex soon and trying to decide if the salinity probe and ORP probe are worth the extra money?  what are your thoughts on the apex el vs regular apex?

Apparently the process of creating virtual outputs is completely different on the Apex Classic.  You need to add a fake module from the http://apex.local console to get the virtual outputs to show up.  Go into Configuration...Module Setup: 

Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 8.09.20 AM.png

This is described in chapter 9 of the Apex Comprehensive Reference Guide:  https://www.neptunesystems.com/downloads/docs/Comprehensive_Reference_Manual.pdf

OK, getting back to your question about Apex 2016 vs Apex EL, there are 3 key differences:

• Salinity probe
  • ORP probe
  • 0-10v variable outlets

You can add these missing features in the future by purchasing 3 add-on modules (PM1, PM2, VDM, plus the probes), but the overall cost will end up $129 higher than if you just purchase the Apex 2016 up front, and will take up more space for the 3 modules.

Personally I feel the full Apex 2016 is worth it.  I use a 0-10v variable outlet to control my Maxspect Gyre, and might use the other variable port for a dimmable T5 hybrid fixture in the future.  The salinity probe, while not 100% accurate compared to my refractometer, still shows trends if salinity is drifting due to ATO, skimmate, or dosing.  And the ORP is a quick indicator if water chemistry has suddenly changed (like when something dies in your tank).  And of course I have alerts set up for these conditions.

Hope this helps with your decision.  But perhaps you won't need to upgrade if you get the virtual outputs added as shown above.

• Like 1

Thank you suncrestreef,

I may not need to upgrade, but how am I going to keep up the the "Jone's" (SuncrestReefs) if I don't upgrade and find a place in my cabinet for a trident...  Right now I don't have room in my cabinet for a trident, but I am looking at putting it in there with a shoe horn..

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MorseReef said:

Thank you suncrestreef,

I may not need to upgrade, but how am I going to keep up the the "Jone's" (SuncrestReefs) if I don't upgrade and find a place in my cabinet for a trident...  Right now I don't have room in my cabinet for a trident, but I am looking at putting it in there with a shoe horn..

The Trident is sort of shaped like a shoehorn anyway, so you may not need anything else to squeeze it in. 🤣