Dude, like really old water

11 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

https://www.iflscience.com/environment/researchers-have-obtained-a-20000-year-old-sample-of-seawater/

Stuff like this fascinates me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Very fascinating indeed. Did they run it through an ICP or what? I’d love to see the ion breakdown of that water.

On 5/29/2019 at 9:17 AM, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Some spilled the water, the project is shuddered now. 

Wow that’s disappointing, but it’s good to know that it’s possible more water samples like that can exist so we can search out more of them!

Wow that’s disappointing, but it’s good to know that it’s possible more water samples like that can exist so we can search out more of them!
Pretty sure he was joking [emoji23] at least I think [emoji50] I didn't read anything about that so pretty sure he was joking...

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, TaylorW said:

Pretty sure he was joking emoji23.png at least I think emoji50.png I didn't read anything about that so pretty sure he was joking...

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

I was tired and gullible when I replied haha. Still pretty tired as I am now though haha. But to be honest it sounded so silly that I thought it was possible it might just be true 😂

Actually I just checked on the original article... or some of it anyway. Of course publicly funded research is behind a paywall thanks to Elsevier. 

The paper establishes that the ocean had many chemically distinct masses of water, some of which can be rediscovered stored in pores. It establishes a correlation between oxygen 18, deuterium (an isotope of Hydrogen), and chloride. It appears that the ratio of change is linear at 25 mM of Chloride, 1.2% oxygen, 9% deuterium. And it also establishes that the higher the strontium concentration, the lower the variation in calcium isotopes. Note this is correlation and not necessarily causation. 

Basically the biggest thing here, and they admit themselves, is this was an incidental discovery that opens up a whole lot of research to be done. Finding more of these pores and studying them can give us a much better idea of the ancient ocean; this is the first time they can directly measure what the Ocean was like instead of estimating, calculating, and extrapolating. So they spent a lot of time presenting some incidental data, but also a lot more time basically saying why this new line of research is so valuable. 

So all in all, this suggests it’s not possible to say “the ancient ocean was different in x, y, z ways,” because it turns out there were many different pieces to the ocean with significant variation to chemical makeup.

It’s pretty interesting research. In theory, with a lot of time, money, processing power, and memory, they can now have a chemical map of the ancient ocean anywhere they can find these pores.

I’ve accessed and downloaded the paper. If anyone cares to read it, just message me.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, LadAShark said:

I was tired and gullible when I replied haha. Still pretty tired as I am now though haha. But to be honest it sounded so silly that I thought it was possible it might just be true 😂

Actually I just checked on the original article... or some of it anyway. Of course publicly funded research is behind a paywall thanks to Elsevier. 

The paper establishes that the ocean had many chemically distinct masses of water, some of which can be rediscovered stored in pores. It establishes a correlation between oxygen 18, deuterium (an isotope of Hydrogen), and chloride. It appears that the ratio of change is linear at 25 mM of Chloride, 1.2% oxygen, 9% deuterium. And it also establishes that the higher the strontium concentration, the lower the variation in calcium isotopes. Note this is correlation and not necessarily causation. 

Basically the biggest thing here, and they admit themselves, is this was an incidental discovery that opens up a whole lot of research to be done. Finding more of these pores and studying them can give us a much better idea of the ancient ocean; this is the first time they can directly measure what the Ocean was like instead of estimating, calculating, and extrapolating. So they spent a lot of time presenting some incidental data, but also a lot more time basically saying why this new line of research is so valuable. 

So all in all, this suggests it’s not possible to say “the ancient ocean was different in x, y, z ways,” because it turns out there were many different pieces to the ocean with significant variation to chemical makeup.

It’s pretty interesting research. In theory, with a lot of time, money, processing power, and memory, they can now have a chemical map of the ancient ocean anywhere they can find these pores.

I’ve accessed and downloaded the paper. If anyone cares to read it, just message me.

Thanks for the recap and offer to share!  Interesting material for sure.