What Do You All Prefer, SPS, LPS, Softies??

TaylorW

I'm always curious about some of your tanks, especially the ones I've never personally seen. What's your preference? SPS? LPS or Softies? I love softies and LPS, I know a lot if people seem to like finding that one SPS but to me the softies and LPS look more "alive" and there's more movement to them. Don't get me wrong there's some beautiful SPS out there!! I guess I'll just always prefer and get excited about the more "common" corals [emoji57] so you probably won't see me looking to buy or asking about SPS on here and more likely to see me get excited about Xenia or GSP [emoji23] I am definitely becoming a bit obsessed with Acans lately... I stopped at What The Frag's yesterday to pick up some Rainbow Incinerator palys (his 200 gallon tank is absolutely beautiful by the way) and he told me I got into Acans at the perfect time, a few years back there was a huge demand and they were crazy expensive. I've been in this hobby for a few years now and I still feel like there's so much I don't know and am always learning. I am so impressed with so many of you and so appreciative of you, I know I've been one to ask what seems to me like a silly question and have always had great support from so many here and have never felt judged, so now I try my best to help some with some if the things I DO actually know about and have learned from experience over time, much of it from you guys. I'm so grateful to have found this forum and to have met so many of you, I'd say a good 75% of my corals came from this forum. I can't wait until my new tank is at the point I can really start Fragging again and trading with some of you. In the meantime I'm still looking for good deals on Rock Flowers and Maxi Minis [emoji6] I bought some nice green speckled Palythoa grandis yesterday from Jeff at Cuttlefish and couldn't resist a big beautiful Elegance Coral, I'd been wanting one for a while and couldn't be happier. Anyway I tend to ramble sometimes [emoji23]

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Softies and lps. I love zoa's the most but can't keep them alive. That brown leather and green leather I gave you were two of my first corals. The green has grown and been fragged out several times. I loved how my possum wrasse would play dead in the brown leather. I also love my green toadstool but it's getting too big for my 20. I have a rainbow acan I like and a few others. Bright yellow trumpet or candy cane is a favorite too. Not much of an lose guy but do have a few. My favorites are the really hairy sps but have not been able to keep one alive

• Like 1

Softies and lps. I love zoa's the most but can't keep them alive. That brown leather and green leather I gave you were two of my first corals. The green has grown and been fragged out several times. I loved how my possum wrasse would play dead in the brown leather. I also love my green toadstool but it's getting too big for my 20. I have a rainbow acan I like and a few others. Bright yellow trumpet or candy cane is a favorite too. Not much of an lose guy but do have a few. My favorites are the really hairy sps but have not been able to keep one alive

I'm starting to get a soft spot for zoas, I've always kept at least one or two types but lately have seen some nice ones. The Sinulara (spelling?) is currently in my daughter's tank, I put the large leather in my tank for the time being because I'm in the process if rearranging the rocks in my daughter's tank and adding more. It looks green under my lights, not brown. May be hard to tell from the pic, I have a filter for my phone somewhere I think in my daughter's room... But they're doing great [emoji4] I noticed zoas don't seem to do as well in low nutrient tanks, at least in my experience. In my old 55 I could never seem to get my nitrates below ~10-20 ppm but a lot of my corals especially zoas grew absolutely amazingly. But when I switched to a much lower nutrient tank they didn't grow as fast

My nitrates always come back between 20 and 30. Always from day 1, with different test kits and even having 2 local stores test. But several sps grow great, like my Cali tort, which has insane growth and will need to be cut back soon.  When the brown leather started growing real fast in the last 6 months, the skin near the center took a slight green hue, but the polyps or whatever we're brown still, so I call it brown. The green one I gave you was one of my favorites, it seemed to have much finer/fluffier polyps than others I've seen. It's actually growing back from where I pulled it out of the rock a year ago.

• Like 1

It was the softies that got me hooked in the hobby looking at my friends reef. For my own as of now my favorite is LPS and softies especially acans. I’ve tried a few SPS with no luck but won’t give up on them now my tank is a year old. 

• Like 1

That leather looks very happy. Surprised it's open already. It gets mad sometimes and will close for a week. I think it sheds but I never see it as when it reopens it's more fluffy and larger.

It opened up within minutes, it seems pretty happy in my tank. I think I might just leave it be. I was originally planning on putting it in my daughter's tank but I actually like it a lot so for now it's stayingSent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

35bcc776e0c18023bf4c3fbd5803ee2e.jpg

40/40/20 sps/lps/softies for me.  The challenge of the mixed reef has always been appealing to me but I can't do without all the easy color and flow.  It makes it a little more difficult to dial lights in and my nitrates are always 5-10 ppm but I seem to be finding the happy mixed medium again!  It's been a while.  My 75g was beautiful but I've had some issues getting this 140g established due to poor lights.  That's in the past now and things are growing away!  For a stickhead, I also keep a lot of Gorgonians and (non-splitting) nems.  

• Like 1

I am 90% sps. I have a couple rock flowers, frammer, drahon soul torch and a Duncan.

Sps are addicting. You get a frag, grow it into a colony and then are like..hmmm, I wish you were prettier. Then I have absolutely stunning frags...acid trip milli.. and it simply grows soooo slow.

I guess I just enjoy the challenge.

I do have a rock flower to sell, maybe two.

I will try to snap a picture

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I am pretty eclectic on my coral taste.  I enjoy a lot of the LPS with the vibrant colors and flowing movement.  But my true love is Zoanthids, all the colors and patterns are just out of this world.

I am now also starting to have success with SPS wich I hear is a slippery slope.  Good thing I'm not an addict.... oh wait lol

• Like 1

I am 90% sps. I have a couple rock flowers, frammer, drahon soul torch and a Duncan.

Sps are addicting. You get a frag, grow it into a colony and then are like..hmmm, I wish you were prettier. Then I have absolutely stunning frags...acid trip milli.. and it simply grows soooo slow.

I guess I just enjoy the challenge.

I do have a rock flower to sell, maybe two.
I will try to snap a picture

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I believe I have heard that a few times, the challenge can be addicting with SPS. Maybe I just haven't tried the right kinds [emoji10] I'd definitely be interested in some Rock Flowers but I'm a little broke til the 7th but I'd love to see some pics then try to work something out for next weekend if that works for you. I was hoping to buy that tiger shark from Jorge if he still has it by then so maybe could work out something for next Friday or Saturday

I am pretty eclectic on my coral taste.  I enjoy a lot of the LPS with the vibrant colors and flowing movement.  But my true love is Zoanthids, all the colors and patterns are just out of this world. I am now also starting to have success with SPS wich I hear is a slippery slope.  Good thing I'm not an addict.... oh wait lol

[emoji23] many if us are! I'm starting to truly appreciate Zoanthids too. I used to have some Clementine zoas that were always my absolutely favorite, the amazing orange along with the solid blue ring was just stunning to me, then I lost them in a crash a while back. I would love to find some more soon, I think they're fairly common so someone has got to have them. I just got some beautiful rainbow incinerators from what the Frag and he has some amazing Zoanthids!! He has a lot of zoa frags in his frag tanks too for sale so I'm sure I'll be back as I get the money [emoji3] I've been buying at least one frag every payday the past few months, I may have to upgrade again soon or just get another tank [emoji39] 

ce6e071eb4bc047ae79a57caa0e52e5a.jpg

These are Clemantine zoas if anyone has any...

90% SPS the rest are high end shrooms and zoas!!!

Wow I bet your tank is amazing! It's such an addicting feeling to bring home an expensive or hard to find coral. Thank goodness my husband doesn't ask what that one costs anymore. I think he has an idea though since I dragged him with me the last couple times to Paradise Coral. I'm too scared to spend $300-$500 on a single Coral though since I had that crash a while back. I've taken precautions though so the risk I'm hoping is low enough to buy some nice corals, I'm really liking some of the jawbreakers. The bounce shrooms have always interested me but I'm still too scared to buy one then have it disappear or something [emoji23] so when your bounce mushrooms multiply are they like the original? Or is there a chance they are just a regular ricordia? And do you keep or tend to sell them? Just curious [emoji6]

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CrabbyCrabs said:

I really like this coral. Not sure what it is. I got it off one of wwc auction things along with many of my others. Hasn't grown in a year or so that I've had it and it's a bit duller yellow now. Has pretty long sweepers at night though.

IMG_20190526_195219382.jpg

This is a favia. If you feed it, it will grow much faster. And too much light might make it appear pale or washed out, if that’s what you mean. 

Edited by maxicurls
Clarity
  • Like 1