Feeding frozen food daily

Manny Tavan

You could always switched to reef nutrition bottled food. It is not cheap though. That's what I feed mostly. ROE, oyster feast, mysis, brine, Tigger pods and once a week some frozen lrs or rods but rods is tiny so I'll toss it as my fish mostly ignore it. I also feed tiny piece of seaweed to my emerald crab otherwise they seem to die. 

18 minutes ago, Manny Tavan said:

I guess i’ll keep thawing food daily for the rest of my life. 365 times a year... 

I feed frozen LRS Reef Frenzy every day, except when I’m out of town for short 2 or 3 day trips, then I use my Neptune auto feeder with a combination of flake and pellet foods.  The fish survive. I’m sure they consider it “roughing it” for a few days.  Fish these days are so spoiled! 🤣

• Like 1

I make my own frozen food but every other day or so I just throw a bunch of pellets in there.

They gobble it all up like crazy and the pellets actually have more calories than fresh food.

And of course a sheet of nori per day which literally lasts about 3 minutes in my tank. Lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I mix it up, I feed Rod's food, frozen Mysis, frozen fish eggs, Omega one Marine mini pellets. No tangs right now so no nori. I have an old brine shrimp net I toss the frozen in, put the net over a small cup to thaw for a few so the yucky liquid stuff drips into the cup then I split it up three ways, go around and dump it in each tank. I used to do it two or three days in advance then keep it in the fridge, never had anything bad happen. A couple days a week they get the mini pellets, usually when I'm feeling tired and lazy.

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

I mix it up, I feed Rod's food, frozen Mysis, frozen fish eggs, Omega one Marine mini pellets. No tangs right now so no nori. I have an old brine shrimp net I toss the frozen in, put the net over a small cup to thaw for a few so the yucky liquid stuff drips into the cup then I split it up three ways, go around and dump it in each tank. A couple days a week they get the mini pellets, usually when I'm feeling tired and lazy.

Where do you get frozen fish eggs? I need to make another batch of food in a month or so. I would love to add that into it.

I used to melt like 3 cubes together with some reef frenzy and feed over the course of a few days. Never lost a fish doing it, but always wondered if it was good or bad. Right now I just have 2 clowns, but one of them is 9+ years old...so I guess the food is ok? Sometimes I think people overthink these things, it’s just thawed seafood, I would assume it should keep the same in the fridge.

• Like 1

Where do you get frozen fish eggs? I need to make another batch of food in a month or so. I would love to add that into it.  Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk 

I buy mine at Petco, I've also seen it at PetSmart. My Mandarins like it and so do a lot of my LPS. They're pretty tiny so easy for the Mandarins to eat8aa17b4105d778f514a0fd14a4f964f2.jpg Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk 

I guess i’ll keep thawing food daily for the rest of my life. 365 times a year... 

Maybe it’s time to hire a reef nannie.

I always just do my ca/all/Mg dosing during feeding time...i don’t mind manual maintenance... grouped:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Maybe it’s time to hire a reef nannie.

I always just do my ca/all/Mg dosing during feeding time...i don’t mind manual maintenance... grouped:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol, I just make dinner or whatever while I wait for it to thaw. It's just part of my daily after work chores

• Like 1

I think I have thawed food out like once. I just lob it in the tank and they gnaw on it, it melts pretty quick

If ice cream headache is a thing for fish, mine certainly don't complain.

[emoji23] I could just picture it. Hey if it works why not?