Lost our cleaner wrasse

MorseReef

Woke up today to find our new cleaner wrasse missing.   Did not find him on the floor. Did not find him in the over flow or filter socks.  Did not find a body anywhere.  He just vanished in the middle of the night. We really wanted him to clean the ich off our hippo tang...

Wrasses are pretty prone to hiding when they are new. Whether that be in the sand bed or within holes in the rockwork. I'm not entirely certain on the cleaner wrasse specifically. I wouldn't be too worried just yet. There are countless stories of a wrasse living in the sand for a couple weeks before it starts coming out.

On a side note, even if the wrasse is there, I'd consider another approach to dealing with ich.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Wow,  I did not know they hid like that.  ours was out all the time for the first few days we had him.  I will not give up on him.  I will keep looking for him. 

SuncrestReef,

I have been reading your tank build posts.  everything you do is just amazing. the planning, quality, precision you put into it shows.  I really love you most amazing pictures.  I must say they are the best pictures I have ever seen of corals.  Which I fail miserably at with my camera phone.  

I am not getting alot of work done with all your amazing posts. Thank you very much for sharing...

IMG_1690.JPG

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Higher Thinking said:

Wrasses are pretty prone to hiding when they are new. Whether that be in the sand bed or within holes in the rockwork. I'm not entirely certain on the cleaner wrasse specifically. I wouldn't be too worried just yet. There are countless stories of a wrasse living in the sand for a couple weeks before it starts coming out.

On a side note, even if the wrasse is there, I'd consider another approach to dealing with ich.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

What would you suggest on the ich?  I have some other fish in a QT tank running copper but they seem to keep getting the ich back again.  The hippo that has it now in my DT came straight from the LFS and I stupidly did not quarantine him because my QT was already full. I know this was not the best approach but the wife asked for fish on mothers day. The QT tank already has a hippo tang so I did not want to put the new smaller one in with the larger one. 

12 hours ago, MorseReef said:

Wow,  I did not know they hid like that.  ours was out all the time for the first few days we had him.  I will not give up on him.  I will keep looking for him. 

SuncrestReef,

I have been reading your tank build posts.  everything you do is just amazing. the planning, quality, precision you put into it shows.  I really love you most amazing pictures.  I must say they are the best pictures I have ever seen of corals.  Which I fail miserably at with my camera phone.  

I am not getting alot of work done with all your amazing posts. Thank you very much for sharing...

Wow, thanks!  Let me know if you ever want me to do a photo shoot of your corals.  

Just promise that if you get fired for slacking off at work while reading my posts, you don't blame me for it!!! 😂