Annual Hatfield Marine Science Center meeting 2019

badxgillen

It's that time again Folks!!!

The Annual Hatfield Marine Science Center meeting is at hand! June is a wonderful month to get out to our lovely Newport Coast to have an amazing educational presentation, killer barbecue, and a great time on the beach.

Come and hang out with the rest of us PNWMAS crew this next month at our Newport Coast!

The head director Sid wanted me to mention that he had a couple surprises for us in store such as...

a back of the house tour for those who have not been behind the scenes before, an on-site cookout w/ refrigeration available for anyone, picnic tables, restrooms and prep space available, and an informative presentation in his lab.

It's always a lovely day for a drive to the coast on these warm summer Saturdays.

Take a gander at some of our previous years gatherings, education, exciting, and fun all rolled into one.

SAM_1890.JPG

Microscope slides of protazoans and parasite.

SAM_0027.JPG

A glimpse at the complete inner workings of the HMSC quarantine center.

SAM_1947.JPG

and a possible hands on health workshop demonstration, this one was done on their resident giant wolf eel a couple years back, that was awesome!.. And what a trooper.

Nothing like this all year until now, the annual Hatfield Marine Science Center meeting.

Where - 2030 SE Marine Science Dr, Newport, OR 97365

When - June 22nd 1:00 PM until the BBQ is done...

What - An educational trip with the facilities director Sid! And a great time to hang out with the rest of us PNWMAS crew, all while on our wonderful summer time coast line in the pacific north west's back yard.

Whoop Whoop!!!

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Emerald525 said:

This is always a good time ! Sid is a great host. He is down to earth with a wealth of information. Sirena and I may have to look into bringing the grandkids and finding an RV site. 

Correction ! We are booked at the RV park that is walking distance ! Party at the RV!!

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, householdofpayne said:

We bought an RV we havnt used yet, which RV park is PNWMAS taking over?

13 minutes ago, CrabbyCrabs said:

Id go but finding rv spots at the beach on any weekend is nearly impossible, let alone tent spots without rude annoying people and their kids on the loose. 

There are plenty of spots in the port of Newport RV spot 2120 SE Marine drive which is just walking distance. It doesn’t look like the most scenic or private area but it’s cheaper than a hotel and would be awesome if fellow members stayed there !  It looked like there was still plenty of spots in the annex area .

• Like 1

Hey folks!

Thanks for the kind words but I must make one correction: I'm not the head director, only the Research Aquarist and manager of the Aquatic Animal Teaching Lab. In many ways, my job's a lot better than the Director's, i.e. many, many fewer excruciating meetings to attend. (I despise meetings and actively cultivate that reputation.)

All that aside, looking very much forward to hosting the meeting, seeing some familiar faces and meeting some new ones. Bert has wisely moved the traditional start time back, which will make it a lot easier for you folks to haul yourselves out of bed on a Saturday, hop in the car and head out to the coast!

See you folks in a month!     🐠

Sid

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The meeting is not too far  off here, just a couple weekends away really!

I know I am going to make a side dish for the afterwards BBQ like macaroni salad, but I am also going to bring something to grill up like burgers or kabobs. Gonna try and prep everything up the best I can ahead of time to stream line things. Are there any vegetarians attending the meet, I can get some veggie burgers too if that is the case, I don't mind. And it should be a nice weekend so don't forget to bring the significant other/family to partake, we love good weather and good company.

• Thanks 1

Well, I know it WILL be Fun, And Educational for sure! If you don't make it I will be bummed, but I understand how life can be, it thinks so little of even our best layed plans... This goes to everyone else who wants to make it but may not, the PNWMAS crew would love to see you all there, so just do your best to set aside the date to participate.

This is one that we try to keep going annually, but this years particular meet will have a surprise to shake things up some.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2019 at 6:07 PM, lewisriverfisherman said:

We had a great time last year at this meeting.  Unfortunately I will be coming back from Vegas so i will miss this meeting.   Boy the meetings have not been lining up for me lately to be able to attend.

And we'll miss your ribs! I still think about those from time to time. Hopefully, you'll be able to come for the June 2020 meeting.

Edited by IntoTheMystic
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, IntoTheMystic said:

And we'll miss your ribs! I still think about those from time to time. Hopefully, you'll be able to come for the June 2020 meeting.

Indeed - those were delicious!  I'm sure there will be something tasty on the grill none the less.

Hey folks!

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow! I'll meet you in the Visitor's Center at 1:00 p.m. and we'll head on back for the tour. After a presentation and discussion in my lab, we'll retire to the picnic area off the staff lounge for some grilling and chilling. Those that have things that need to be refrigerated and/or staged for the cookout/feast, please arrive a bit earlier, let the person working the front desk know and I'll come out to tell you how to get to a parking spot much closer to the picnic area.

With the construction of the new MSI building, things will look a bit different around campus but getting to the parking lot of the Visitor's Center remains the same. For those who are coming but have not yet been to Hatfield, take the first exit just south of the Yaquina Bay Bridge and follow it right to campus. There will be plenty of signage to help get you there.

Come early if your schedule allows and check out the Visitor's Center before the meeting, if you like.

See you all tomorrow!

• Like 2

YES! Thanks for the heads up my friend, I am Super excited for our coast meeting at HMSC. Gonna go and grab the final pieces to my part of the BBQ here in a few minutes. If anyone wants to bring something to throw on the grill I can do my best to cook things up for you while I am manning the burgers I am going to bring.

• Like 1

Sorry, I was not able to make it today.  I've been. in Providence, Newberg this week. Had some heart trouble, but no damage resulted. I have a Pulmonary Embolism (blood clot in lungs). I will be headed home today. Going to get some help with water changes.

I hope everyone is having a great time! Cheers!