How do you take a good picture of your reef???

xxkenny90xx

Ok so I can't seem to get a good picture of my tank, got any tips for me? I'm just using my smartphone but it has a pretty good camera in it. Day time pics turn out fine but once the blue leds kick on and the whites off I can't get a good pic to save my life (the glowing corals don't really show up). I'm not against buying a camera if I must but it would have to be on the cheaper end (and I'm not sure what to look for). Thanks guys! 

20190514_211038.jpg

2 hours ago, xxkenny90xx said:

Thanks for the reply. Interesting, I've never seen anything like that before. I found this on Amazon for like $6, or can you send me an example of what you mean? 

Screenshot_2019-05-17-20-03-39.png

You don't want a gradient filter like the link you posted.  That's where the filter itself fades from one color to another, typically used to change the color of the sky while not changing the landscape below:

Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 10.14.28 PM.png

Instead, you want a solid orange filter.  The one I use is called Aquariclip, but there are others.

https://www.amazon.com/AquariClip-Smartphone-Orange-Aquarium-Photography/dp/B07BB4KTVC

Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 10.12.43 PM.png

A $30 orange  clip-on filter will make a huge difference.  Here’s an example from my iPhone with the filter:
A6623E64-356D-42AC-BF1D-5B7B12F8BAD2.thumb.jpeg.37356f1232f1195dfaa2febfeb19097c.jpeg

Believe me he knows what he's talking about lol!! They absolutely work, after seeing his in action on my own phone I ordered one myself on Amazon, I've only used it couple times then my daughter "borrowed" it. It's in her room somewhere?

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1