Update: DIY Diffuser

householdofpayne

Just finished up my LED retrofit into my 6 gallon cube and I’m thinking I need some light diffusion. This is something that I was forecasting beings the light is like an inch off the water surface but I’m not finding much beyond wax paper for DIY diffusion. Are there any products out there that some members have had any luck with? It’s more pronounced in the photo then in person which works to my advantage for y’all to see what I’m trying to correct. 

Thanks

911E74B6-3043-4466-A809-685D306F4F01.jpeg

27E23F7A-33E9-413B-8CCD-97731B60BAA6.jpeg

Edited by householdofpayne

My Radion diffusers have a thin layer of smokey-white plastic. I've seen some school supply notepads that have a similar material as the front cover.  You might want to peruse the school supply aisle at Office Depot or Target.  Or possibly check Michaels or other craft stores, or art supply stores for similar materials.

IMG_2734.jpg 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

My Radion diffusers have a thin layer of smokey-white plastic. I've seen some school supply notepads that have a similar material as the front cover.  You might want to peruse the school supply aisle at Office Depot or Target.  Or possibly check Michaels or other craft stores, or art supply stores for similar materials.

IMG_2734.jpg 

That’s a great idea thanks

• Like 1

On 5/16/2019 at 9:39 PM, SuncrestReef said:

IMG_2734.jpg 

@SuncrestReef for the win! Went to Michaels and found a binder protector. Cut it to size and I’m happy with the $5 result!!

109A6084-00C0-4202-A760-733E1F22D01C.jpeg

4068B56F-B17E-4E92-8A14-854EE4E72C2D.jpeg

7776E634-1C3E-47C7-9D8A-B9F445BEB783.png

D7035363-FD2F-44F6-B3EC-C2E712875572.jpeg

• Haha 1

[mention=16522]householdofpayne[/mention] How hot do the LED's get?  Are you concerned about the diffuser plastic melting because it's so close to the lights?

We shall see I will keep an eye on it that’s a good concern. I’m running the light at around 2w-5w. I doubt it will be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk