Sign in to follow this  
householdofpayne

Update: DIY Lighting Upgrade

Posted (edited)

So the bulb went out on the little cube that I picked up recently, and i'm at a crossroads of where I want to go with this tank lighting wise. I would like to start with high end zoas, and add sps down the line although that's a ways away as the tank was just established, and I'm monitoring fluctuation as I'm going basics with this tank. (carbon, filter floss, water changes) I really like the hood that's on it currently because it reduces evaporation to almost nothing which is a big deal on a 6 gal tank. So if I do switch out the light it would be best case scenario for it to fit in the current enclosure. The new jbj cubes did upgrade the light they came with to an LED but I'm just not convinced that it will put off the par I'm looking for with going through an upgrade. 

This is the current bulb that is in the tank.

https://www.amazon.com/LSE-Lighting-PL-L18W-TUV-Ultraviolet/dp/B00BRMVEEQ/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_2_sspa?keywords=pl-18w+10000k&qid=1557845826&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmrnull-spons&psc=1

There are also 2 LED diodes that are blue so its very washed out with whites. 

If I removed the current lighting components I would be working with a space that is 9.5" wide and 5" tall. The lid has a curve to it so the depth in the middle is 1.75" and tapers down to 1" towards the back of the tank. The tank has a depth of about 11" for the light to penetrate. So I guess what im getting at here is do I replace the current light that I have with a new light? Or do I supplement with more blues, and if this answer whats the best option for that? On of the reasons I am for replacing the light entirely is that I really like the idea of both spectrum being on a controller.   

Thanks for your input,

width.jpg

height.jpg

depth 1.jpg

depth 2.jpg

penitration.jpg

Edited by householdofpayne

One Reefi Extreme or Deluxe should do the job!
Just run the lights at 2-3%.
Any stronger, you'll boil water!

Sent from Atlantis 🤙

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Optimusprime3605 said:

One Reefi Extreme or Deluxe should do the job!
Just run the lights at 2-3%.
Any stronger, you'll boil water! emoji6.png

Sent from Atlantis 🤙

I was honestly thinking about reaching out to Reefi to see if he had any parts from the pendant available. The pendidant itself I dont think would fit in the enclosure I'm workjing with but if it was canalized I'm sure it could work, there is already 2 fans in the enclose area. 

• Like 1

I was honestly thinking about reaching out to Reefi to see if he had any parts from the pendant available. The pendidant itself I dont think would fit in the enclosure I'm workjing with but if it was canalized I'm sure it could work, there is already 2 fans in the enclose area. 
Hit'em up@danlu_gt, I'm sure he still has parts laying around.

Sent from Atlantis 🤙

• Like 1

@danlu_gt what do you think, would the dimensions given house the parts from the pendent? Would you be interested in selling cannibalized parts from the pendent? 

26 minutes ago, householdofpayne said:

@danlu_gt what do you think, would the dimensions given house the parts from the pendent? Would you be interested in selling cannibalized parts from the pendent? 

Sorry, I honestly don't think it'll work fitting ReeFi Pendant with your existing light housing.   The LED diodes are solder on customized metal core PCB which needs to be cool.  The pendant heatsink is over 3" tall.  Your depth is less than 2".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, danlu_gt said:

Sorry, I honestly don't think it'll work fitting ReeFi Pendant with your existing light housing.   The LED diodes are solder on customized metal core PCB which needs to be cool.  The pendant heatsink is over 3" tall.  Your depth is less than 2".

Thank you for getting back to me :) I will be in the market for your V2 extreme for my other tank once those hit the market. Looking forward to a demo at an upcoming meeting!

• Like 2

The one thing I'd be worried about is condensation on an led retrofit, and you would have to cut the hood so you could add a heat sink that will be able to get rid of heat coming off of high power LEDs as they don't like getting too hot. It's very possible but it would take alot of cutting of the original housing

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

The one thing I'd be worried about is condensation on an led retrofit, and you would have to cut the hood so you could add a heat sink that will be able to get rid of heat coming off of high power LEDs as they don't like getting too hot. It's very possible but it would take alot of cutting of the original housing

I sent ya a pm

Posted (edited)

So this turned into complete overkill hahha my plan was to put a AI Prime non HD in this. I had just picked up a Prime HD for my grandmothers tank, and had it sitting there so thought “perfect I’ll use that to mock up my DIY fab till I’m able to find a used prime for myself.” Wrapped the light in electrical tape so I wouldn’t scratch it. Well I scratched it 😔 looks like I’m buying another HD Prime for her because I’m OCD, and feel guilty giving her a light I scratched. So I present the hood with a Prime HD installed!!! The vent holes are not perfect that bugs me a bit, but where the tank is located I will never see them so eh I’ll call it a win.

567E818E-6DB9-422D-94E7-217C23FB65F8.jpeg

44A7ADAB-631A-45D4-9288-5339894635D3.jpeg

Edited by householdofpayne
  • Like 2