Trident -- Hands on

I installed the new AOS update (5.05_6B19) and updated my Trident to version 12.  The AOS installation took longer than previous updates (about 30 - 40 minutes), but the Trident update was pretty quick.  I like the new detailed descriptions of what it's doing:

Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 1.49.57 PM.png  Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 3.08.18 PM.png  Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 6.09.16 PM.png

For full details of this AOS release, see https://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?27028-AOS-5-05_6B19-is-now-available!

@CrazyInside I'd recommend installing the update.

Edited by SuncrestReef

4 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

I installed the new AOS update (5.05_6B19) and updated my Trident to version 12.  The AOS installation took longer than previous updates (about 30 - 40 minutes), but the Trident update was pretty quick.  I like the new detailed descriptions of what it's doing:

Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 1.49.57 PM.png  Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 3.08.18 PM.png  Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 6.09.16 PM.png

For full details of this AOS release, see https://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?27028-AOS-5-05_6B19-is-now-available!

@CrazyInside I'd recommend installing the update.

Update:

I just checked my latest Trident graph and noticed an increase in test times. I currently have mine set to test 8/4 times per day, so calcium & mag are tested at 00:00, 06:00, 12:00, and 18:00. Here are the times logged on the graph for calcium test results:

6/10/19 00:14:57 (15 minutes)
6/10/19 06:15:00 (15 minutes)
6/10/19 12:15:02 (15 minutes)
6/10/19 13:08:00 --- installed AOS update ---
6/10/19 18:39:39 (40 minutes)

I'll be curious to see if this was a one time increase, or if all tests will take that long now.  Next run is at midnight, so I guess I'm not going to bed for at least the next 45 minutes or so...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

Update:

I just checked my latest Trident graph and noticed an increase in test times. I currently have mine set to test 8/4 times per day, so calcium & mag are tested at 00:00, 06:00, 12:00, and 18:00. Here are the times logged on the graph for calcium test results:

6/10/19 00:14:57 (15 minutes)
6/10/19 06:15:00 (15 minutes)
6/10/19 12:15:02 (15 minutes)
6/10/19 13:08:00 --- installed AOS update ---
6/10/19 18:39:39 (40 minutes)

I'll be curious to see if this was a one time increase, or if all tests will take that long now.  Next run is at midnight, so I guess I'm not going to bed for at least the next 45 minutes or so...

Where do you see how long the test takes?

2 minutes ago, CrazyInside said:

Where do you see how long the test takes?

Hover your mouse over the graph:

Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 11.47.32 PM.png

Or click the graph to go to the more detailed view, and again hover your mouse over the graph:

Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 11.48.45 PM.png

Edited by SuncrestReef

3 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

Hover your mouse over the graph:

Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 11.47.32 PM.png

Or click the graph to go to the more detailed view, and again hover your mouse over the graph:

Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 11.48.45 PM.png

Ah okay, yeah mine is between 14-16 min. I hope it’s not 40 min tests after the update, I might get some scolding from Paige if R2D2 is chatting away for that long 😂 

• Like 1

Just now, CrazyInside said:

Ah okay, yeah mine is between 14-16 min. I hope it’s not 40 min tests after the update, I might get some scolding from Paige if R2D2 is chatting away for that long 😂 

My next test will begin in 5 minutes.  I'll report back how long it took.

Did you already install the new AOS update?

1 minute ago, SuncrestReef said:

My next test will begin in 5 minutes.  I'll report back how long it took.

Did you already install the new AOS update?

Not yet was going to do it when I get home in about an hour so let me know because I’ll hold off if it’s switching to 40 min

20 minutes ago, CrazyInside said:

Not yet was going to do it when I get home in about an hour so let me know because I’ll hold off if it’s switching to 40 min

It finished at 00:17:12, so 17 minutes vs the previous average of 15 minutes.

It must have been a one-off glitch, or perhaps it did some addition initialization or priming after the update.  I know it ran the initialization process right after the update because that's when I captured the screenshot above.  But no idea why it ran 40 minutes on that first test after the update.

24 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

It finished at 00:17:12, so 17 minutes vs the previous average of 15 minutes.

It must have been a one-off glitch, or perhaps it did some addition initialization or priming after the update.  I know it ran the initialization process right after the update because that's when I captured the screenshot above.  But no idea why it ran 40 minutes on that first test after the update.

Sweet I’ll go ahead and update then, thanks for the info 

RussM posted this comment on the Neptune forums:

“It is normal for the first set of tests after a Trident firmware update to take longer - it tests, then immediately validates those results by running another set of tests. Subsequent tests will take the usual amount of time.”

Good to know.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As I'm sitting here listening to the sweet sounds of my Trident doing a scheduled test, I suddenly heard my ATK turn on, and then I realized why sometimes I have randomly low test results from my Trident. My ATK tubing is right next to my Trident sample line in the return chamber of my sump, so the sample has been artificially diluted with RO/DI water if the ATK happens to run right before or during a test. To get around this, I added several If Time Then OFF statements to my ATK programming to block it from running within a 15 minute window of my Trident schedule.

• Like 3

As I'm sitting here listening to the sweet sounds of my Trident doing a scheduled test, I suddenly heard my ATK turn on, and then I realized why sometimes I have randomly low test results from my Trident. My ATK tubing is right next to my Trident sample line in the return chamber of my sump, so the sample has been artificially diluted with RO/DI water if the ATK happens to run right before or during a test. To get around this, I added several If Time Then OFF statements to my ATK programming to block it from running within a 15 minute window of my Trident schedule.
Good catch!

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Neptune just released a new AOS version today that eliminates much of the robot sounds from the Trident.  I just installed it and it's now MUCH more quiet.  It doesn't even seem to bother my dog now, which is great!  He used to pace or leave the room when the Trident was testing, but now he's just laying near the tank with no issues while it's testing.

See https://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?27319-AOS-5-05_7C19-is-now-available!

This update also contains a fix for FMM modules, but they only recommend installing the update if your FMM exhibits a particular issue.  Mine have been fine, so I'm leaving them alone.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
18 minutes ago, shaywood said:

Are the units available from retailers are regular price yet?

All Tridents sold by authorized retailers are at the list $599 price, but most are still out of stock and have waiting lists.  Occasionally on the Neptune Facebook group I've seen people posting that particular shops have some in stock, and then they're gone within 15 minutes.

Only people that are selling them on eBay or other non-authorized "dealers" are jacking the prices up.

• Like 1

I am not actively controlling anything based on Trident readings yet.   But I have realized I need to setup my Apex to control my Calcium Reactor based on its effluent pH.   I did some maintenance, and Bang - the pH went to 6.0.  And the trident reported my Alk Spiked.    

So step one, turn off CO2 gas based on effluent pH.   After I'm in control there, I may do further connections to Trident readings. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I haven't posted about my Trident for quite a while.  It's still chugging along nicely and helping to keep my tank stable.  Here are my targets for Trident Controlled Dosing:

Alk:  8.20 dKH
Cal: 420 ppm
Mag: 1350 ppm

And here's my current Trident report:

Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 9.27.15 PM.png

The graphs represent the past 7 days, and while they look like there's a lot of up and down swings, what's not apparent is the narrow range of the Y axis.  Here are the actual ranges over 7 days:

Alk: 8.13 - 8.35 dKH
Cal: 402 - 427 ppm
Mag: 1345 - 1359 ppm

That's pretty darn stable!

• Like 3