Trident -- Hands on

I was surprised when UPS delivered my trident this afternoon!  I wasn't expecting it until Monday.

Setup was really simple, with step by step videos to walk you through it.  

Yes, they include a Trident Unicorn sticker in the box:
IMG_6305.jpg

There was a tiny bit of leakage from reagent C during shipping, but otherwise everything looks good.  
IMG_6308.jpg

IMG_6312.jpg

Here's a photo of the inside mechanisms.  I haven't seen anyone post this before:
IMG_6315.jpg

The tubing is very thin:
IMG_6316.jpg

A 1Link cable is included.  If you don't have any available 1Link ports, you can optionally use AquaBus and a power adapter.
IMG_6318.jpg

All set and ready to start testing!
IMG_6322.jpg

• Like 8

Don't use all the reagent up tonight! It's pretty compact, I thought it would be larger. So how does it clean itself after each test, does it flush with some tank water to the waste vessel? Does it have a test vial like a Hanna?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Willapa said:

Don't use all the reagent up tonight! It's pretty compact, I thought it would be larger. So how does it clean itself after each test, does it flush with some tank water to the waste vessel? Does it have a test vial like a Hanna?

There's no clear information on exactly how it cleans itself.  Supposedly it draws exactly enough water during each test so it's sampling actual tank water instead of stale water left in the tubing.

It doesn't have any removable test vial like a Hanna.  Apparently the test chamber is at the top front of the unit, inside the "horn" shape.  I saw someone post this photo of it on R2R:

Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 3.46.16 AM.png

Edited by SuncrestReef
  • Like 1

Now that the Trident has been installed for nearly 24 hours, I have some data to post.  The initial readings are lower than my manual test kits show, but I've read this is normal and will be corrected after calibration.  Neptune recommends waiting 48 to 72 hours after installation before calibration, so I'll probably wait until Monday to calibrate it.  They also recommend waiting 7 - 10 days before configuring it to integrate with the DOS for automated dosing adjustment, so I'll probably take that step next weekend.

Here is the Trident tile on my dashboard:

Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 12.21.20 PM.png

My manual test kits currently read:

Alk = 8.4
CA = 410
MG = 1350

Each time you click the tile, it cycles through additional information.  The first click shows measurement graphs:

Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 12.20.43 PM.png

The next click shows reagent levels:

Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 12.20.55 PM.png

The 3rd click shows the waste container level:

Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 12.21.05 PM.png

You can configure the Trident for automatic testing or manual testing:

Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 12.22.15 PM.png

The scheduling options are pretty limited.  You can select between 4, 6, 8, 12, or 24 tests per day.  It automatically assigns the time of day for each test:

Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 12.17.49 PM.png

The Trident configuration page is pretty straight forward:

Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 12.17.13 PM.png

If you click on the measurement graphs shown above, it gives you more detail:

Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 12.21.48 PM.png

Here's a short video of the Trident while testing.  You can hear the R2D2-like robot sounds that are freaking out my dog.  Hopefully he gets used to it.

• Like 7

Awesome write up, can't wait to get my hands on one when they become available, again. 😢 Not sure I will be brave enough to control my dosing via Neptune as my experience with DOS was horrible and I am using CoralBox dossers now. But, I never say never. :)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Willapa said:

Any idea why they didn't support Apex Classic with these? Is it just a sales stunt or does the classic not have some functionality that's needed? I mean, come on, my Apex is only 4 years old!

I haven't seen any official reasons posted, but I'm guessing it's due to processor or memory limitations of the Classic.

Keep in mind, even though yours is only 4 years old, the Classic was originally released in 2009.  10 years is very old technology.

Edited by SuncrestReef
  • Like 1

Any idea why they didn't support Apex Classic with these? Is it just a sales stunt or does the classic not have some functionality that's needed? I mean, come on, my Apex is only 4 years old!

Lmao.. just because you bought it 4 years ago doesn't mean it is only 4 years old.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Lmao.. just because you bought it 4 years ago doesn't mean it is only 4 years old.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Laugh all you want but it'll always be 4 years old to me since that's when I forked out 500 for it and I'll be using this old technology until the wheels fall off!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I just kicked off the Trident calibration process.  The on-screen instructions are simple to follow, and the calibration takes about an hour.  My next scheduled water test is at noon, so I'll be curious to see if the numbers are closer to my manual test kits.

Here's the process:

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 9.41.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 9.41.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 9.42.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 9.42.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 9.42.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 9.41.12 AM.png

2314D218-351D-4D92-AD75-E7EAE18FD5D7.jpeg

Edited by SuncrestReef
  • Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 2:59 PM, shaywood said:

I'm curious how continued results will compare to other test kits. 

After calibration my Trident readings are still lower than my manual test kits. Trident says my Alk is 7.8, but Hanna says it's 8.3, so a 0.5 dKH difference. I tested the leftover Trident calibration solution (labeled 8.4 dKH on the bottle) and the Hanna measured it as 8.9, so now I'm thinking my Hanna has been off by 0.5 this whole time. I might take a sample to CNC to get another reading.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

After calibration my Trident readings are still lower than my manual test kits. Trident says my Alk is 7.8, but Hanna says it's 8.3, so a 0.5 dKH difference. I tested the leftover Trident calibration solution (labeled 8.4 dKH on the bottle) and the Hanna measured it as 8.9, so now I'm thinking my Hanna has been off by 0.5 this whole time. I might take a sample to CNC to get another reading.

At least its consistent in how far its off. Definitely points to the Hanna being off for sure.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, householdofpayne said:

At least its consistent in how far its off. Definitely points to the Hanna being off for sure.

I guess the main question I have now is whether to keep my dosing as is with the lower than expected numbers, or if I should increase it to the level I thought it was actually at?  For the past 6 months I thought my alk was between 8.1 - 8.5, but in reality it was about 7.6 - 8.0.

4 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

I guess the main question I have now is whether to keep my dosing as is with the lower than expected numbers, or if I should increase it to the level I thought it was actually at?  For the past 6 months I thought my alk was between 8.1 - 8.5, but in reality it was about 7.6 - 8.0.

What alk does you newly made saltwater produce?

4 minutes ago, householdofpayne said:

What alk does you newly made saltwater produce?

I use Red Sea Coral Pro salt, and according to my Hanna tests, it's 9.7 dKH, but if my Trident is correct then that's probably 0.5 too high.

Since I'm set up with daily automatic water changes, my dosing is also supplemented with the higher alk of the new salt water on a daily basis.

Just now, SuncrestReef said:

I use Red Sea Coral Pro salt, and according to my Hanna tests, it's 9.7 dKH, but if my Trident is correct then that's probably 0.5 too high.

Since I'm set up with daily automatic water changes, my dosing is also supplemented with the higher alk of the new salt water on a daily basis.

Yea I remembered you did the auto water changes (that’s so cool!) just wanted to take that into act when giving you my answer. If salt produced lower then your target would recommend keeping lower alk as you would be fighting an up hill battle. I say bring it up to where you thought it was gradually. My thought process is if you every have an emergency where you have to do close to a 100% water change it’s a less drastic change from norm.

1 minute ago, householdofpayne said:

Yea I remembered you did the auto water changes (that’s so cool!) just wanted to take that into act when giving you my answer. If salt produced lower then your target would recommend keeping lower alk as you would be fighting an up hill battle. I say bring it up to where you thought it was gradually. My thought process is if you every have an emergency where you have to do close to a 100% water change it’s a less drastic change from norm.

Yes, that's my current thinking.  I have been targeting about 8.5 dKH for quite a while, but just surprised to realize that my actual level has been lower than I thought this whole time.  I plan to slowly increase my dosing for the rest of this week, and then this weekend I plan to turn over control of my DOS to the Trident so it can micro-adjust it for the daytime and nighttime fluctuations.

• Like 1

My Trident has now been in use for just over 7 days.  I've been manually increasing my dosing a bit, but no major swings.  Here's my alkalinity over the past several days, with testing every 6 hours.  Notice the up and down swings throughout the day, even though I only ever adjusted the dosing amount once per day in the mornings:

Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 12.53.14 AM.png

I'm getting impatient and decided to configure the Trident controlled dosing.  It's an amazingly simple process done through a Fusion task:

1. From the list of tasks, select Trident Controlled Dosing
    Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 12.34.51 AM.png

2. Check the box confirming you understand the requirements
    Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 12.35.13 AM.png
  3. Select the parameter you want to dose based on Trident readings
    Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 12.35.36 AM.png
  4. Select the DOS pump for the appropriate additive
    Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 12.35.48 AM.png
  5. Optionally rename your DOS pump
    Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 12.36.00 AM.png
  6. Enter the parameter level you wish to maintain, and the normal volume you've been dosing
    Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 12.36.26 AM.png
  7. Select whether to dose a consistent amount daily, or to dose more during daylight hours and less at night
    Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 12.36.45 AM.png
  8. Review the summary and send the configuration to Apex
    Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 12.37.23 AM.png
  9. Read the reminder, then finish the task wizard
    Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 12.38.19 AM.png

Once the configuration has been sent, your DOS now has a new schedule defined along with variable adjustment limits based on the Trident readings:
Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 12.38.42 AM.png

After a few days, I'll post a graph showing if this has smoothed out my parameters.

Now that Trident is controlling my dosing, I'm also changing the testing frequency from 4/2 daily tests to 6/3 tests.  I just want a little more granularity to see the daily fluctuations.  You can go as high as 24/12 tests per day, but that would be ridiculous. 😂

Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 9.56.54 AM.png

I've only had the Trident controlling my dosing for a couple days now, but it does appear to have reduced the day/night swings a little bit.  This graph shows the days leading up to switching over (while I was also increasing the alkalinity), and two days of data since.  I have it set to target 8.20 dKH, but keep in mind the Trident has a +/- 0.05 dKH margin of error, so the reported numbers could be anywhere within that range.  

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 9.49.00 PM.png

• Thanks 1

Trident seems like a great leap in reefing. I would love to get into it but I am concerned about short/long term probe life. If it's like hydroponics they only last at most a year with true proper maintenance. I'd hate to lose a tank due to a probe failure. That said, I want this. Although way out of my budget I would love to see what my tank could do when stabilized.

1 minute ago, CrabbyCrabs said:

Trident seems like a great leap in reefing. I would love to get into it but I am concerned about short/long term probe life. If it's like hydroponics they only last at most a year with true proper maintenance. I'd hate to lose a tank due to a probe failure. That said, I want this. Although way out of my budget I would love to see what my tank could do when stabilized.

It doesn't have traditional "probes".  It's a robotic system that draws tank water and reagents into a reaction chamber, mixes them, and then optically compares the color change.  It will need routine maintenance once every 18-24 months.  It also has fail-safes where it will only adjust your dosing +/- 35% of your normal amount, so if it reads the parameters outside that range it will stop the automation, just dose the normal amount,  and alert you of the problem.