Found my new leppard wrasse

BeardUp

Picked up a new leppard wrasse at CNC on Sunday. I went to check on the tank and see if he was out of the sand yet and caught my goby with a mouth full of leppard! 

Not sure if it was the clown or damsel that killed it. But they both might be going soon!

• Sad 2

Thanks, I only got the dang damsel because the now ex thought it was so cute and I cant seem to get him out. The only fish in the tank are a clown, damsel and the diamond goby so I am assuming it was the damsel. 

Sorry to hear it BeardUp,

I got a leopard wrasse from Cuttlefish a few weeks ago too, my Jewel Damsel was chasing it way too much and was relocated to the fuge to prevent stress to wrasse. Everything seemed well for a couple weeks, then this last Sunday morning to find my wrasse dead on the sandbed.

It totally sucks and makes this hobby hard sometimes. It was such a cool fish. 

If you have a Damel, it was probably that one being territorial. I find my clowns are only territorial with the Damsel.

• Thanks 1

I feel your pain, I bought a cute little Domino Damsel a few years back that turned into a much larger fish and bullied to death two fish I'd had for years before I was finally able to get it out of there. Did you actually see it bullying your new fish? The only Damsels I've been able to keep longer term are two yellow bellied Kupang Damsels (seem to stay much smaller and more passive) they sort of remind me of tiny Blue Tangs.

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

I got a leopard wrasse a few months ago. It lived 7 weeks. Not sure what the culprit was. After seeing other similar issues, I wonder if they just are hard to keep in tanks long term. To note, I have a watchman goby pistol shrimp combo. I wonder if they dug up a sleeping wrasse and that’s what killed him. He was just dead laying on his side one morning when I’d gone to check on him. Probably took 3 hours before the cleaner shrimp was brave enough to pick at it. Amazing fish. I was quite sad when it died. 

Would i assume your wrasse burrowed each night like mine did? 

On 5/8/2019 at 3:58 AM, TaylorW said:

Did you actually see it bullying your new fish? 

I dont see him really bother anyone but, have lost a few fish established fish since I got him but one was a very old clown I got from someone that got her from someone..... 

The wrasse went right in to the sand after a hour or so drip so he did not really have any time to get bullied. 

20 hours ago, Snappy said:

Would i assume your wrasse burrowed each night like mine did? 

He did the first night I put him in, but he did not make it even 40 hours so I did not expect to see him for a few more days.