Remote Sump In Garage 1 Floor Down - Return Pump Options

TheClark

I am a little out of date on all the options these days, hoping you all can get me up to date.

Basically I have a remote sump in the garage, one floor below the tank.  The DT is 400 gallons.

Looking for return pump options.  Last I checked reefflo was king here, but I do hate that the seals occasionally go out.  Murphys law says it will happen during vacation!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, youcallmenny said:

Too big for my own experience.  Weren't you the one with the dual-operating pump setup?  I use a large sump pump to move water from my downstairs to my upstairs during water changes but that's <10m usage windows.  Did you lose a pump?  

Yes, you remembered!  I run dual returns, active / active so that if one fails the other can keep the system running until vacation is over.

My sump is currently under the tank, I am dropping it down to the garage to make things easier/better hoping...   Thats a good point though, with 2 running who cares if a seal goes out.  I have time to fix it.

• Like 1

Hammerhead baby!!!   And if the flow on the hammerhead is too much... which it is a crazy 4,400 gph with 12' of head.  You can simply put the barracuda which will get you 2700 GPH at 12'. 

I have heard the seals go out but I have not had a problem at all. I have had my system up like 18 months or so and have cleaned the pump once..  Honestly, the reef flows are the absolute bomb.  You are getting a SERIOUS, professionally made pump for not that much money. Not some $400 plastic thing that has a DC motor that saves 15% on your power bill (because ouch.. those extra 20 watts is a killer) at the cost of zero ability to maintain flow at a decent head pressure.   

On top of that they are super helpful and actually KNOW what they are talking about.  If you have questions about flow, plumbing, manifolds, etc these guys are actually using flow charts and hydraulic loss calculations not something like "ohh, yeah, that should be fine". 

Here is something to make you rest easy.  If something went wrong a hammerhead pump would drain a 400 gallon tank in 5.5 minutes.  LOL

• Like 1

Look at cal pump. They have some pumps designed to run in the ocean itself. They used to offer magdrive style that were way better than magdrive/danner. I wanted to get a backup for my pond but they no longer have the cheaper pumps it seems. My cal pump in my pond has been running for about 15 years with no issues besides being frozen solid with ice a few times. Just another option to throw out there.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Hammerhead baby!!!   And if the flow on the hammerhead is too much... which it is a crazy 4,400 gph with 12' of head.  You can simply put the barracuda which will get you 2700 GPH at 12'. 

I have heard the seals go out but I have not had a problem at all. I have had my system up like 18 months or so and have cleaned the pump once..  Honestly, the reef flows are the absolute bomb.  You are getting a SERIOUS, professionally made pump for not that much money. Not some $400 plastic thing that has a DC motor that saves 15% on your power bill (because ouch.. those extra 20 watts is a killer) at the cost of zero ability to maintain flow at a decent head pressure.   

On top of that they are super helpful and actually KNOW what they are talking about.  If you have questions about flow, plumbing, manifolds, etc these guys are actually using flow charts and hydraulic loss calculations not something like "ohh, yeah, that should be fine". 

Here is something to make you rest easy.  If something went wrong a hammerhead pump would drain a 400 gallon tank in 5.5 minutes.  LOL

Good stuff, thanks!  Their flow is insane, I cannot believe what they can do.

However, FWIW, pretty much every old timer reefer buddy I know has had a seal go out eventually.  So good to have a spare for sure, but I bet you do.

I was wondering if any up and comers were giving reeflo a run for the money yet.   Sounds like reeflo is still dominating!

11 minutes ago, CrabbyCrabs said:

Look at cal pump. They have some pumps designed to run in the ocean itself. They used to offer magdrive style that were way better than magdrive/danner. I wanted to get a backup for my pond but they no longer have the cheaper pumps it seems. My cal pump in my pond has been running for about 15 years with no issues besides being frozen solid with ice a few times. Just another option to throw out there.

Interesting!  I gotta check these guys out.  15 years is impressive!  Anyone using them for reefs / ie are they saltwater safe?  

42 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

one nice thing about RF pumps is you can find them used or reconditioned on R2R for pretty cheap.  I bought a backup hammerhead that was freshly rebuilt by reeflo for $200.  

That is so nice!  Its not like the typical use and throw away stuff we are used to.  Seems like they should have a very long life.