Summer weather

I love our sudden onset of summer weather, but my tank temperature started rising rapidly this afternoon.  I brought the portable fan in from the garage and set it up on my Apex.  It always amazes me how quickly a basic fan can lower the tank temperature:

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 5.35.35 PM.png

IMG_6288.jpg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CrabbyCrabs said:

How much more does your top off consumption go up, since it's evaporation that's cooling the tank

I'm not sure.  Since my ATO is fully automated and pulling from my 75 gallon RO/DI storage tank, I never really look at it.  I guess I could review my Apex logs to see how long the pump runs each time, but that would be tedious to produce a report since it goes on and off every 30 minutes.

I have one of those tiny USB fans pointed across the top of my tank, set to come on when my lights come on. Seems to work fine, was having a 3-4 degree temp change during the day (up to 82!) And so far so good.

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, TaylorW said:

I have one of those tiny USB fans pointed across the top of my tank, set to come on when my lights come on. Seems to work fine, was having a 3-4 degree temp change during the day (up to 82!) And so far so good.

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

Impressive how much difference a little extra air flow can make.  The power of evaporation!  Just make sure your auto-top up has enough capacity to keep up.

6 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Impressive how much difference a little extra air flow can make.  The power of evaporation!  Just make sure your auto-top up has enough capacity to keep up.

I’ve currently got about 62 gallons for auto-top up at the moment.  That should get me through this heat wave. 😎

AC235E53-DC39-4410-AB1F-D7A0E43C356E.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

PLEASE tell me that is not a windsurf board on the wall.  

Yep, it’s a 7’4” custom fiberglass board made for me in 1991 when I was a college dropout windsurf bum living in The Gorge for 3 years.

2BF539CF-F696-4748-A6CF-320E05D51ABD.jpeg

7DB160DB-1231-4051-8E2B-1DCF4621DCFA.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

much respect as windsurfing is NOT easy by any stretch of the imagination.  I was a COMPLETE kiteboard junkie, cost me a marriage, but I still say it was worth it.  I started kiting in 2003 and it was ridiculously dangerous.  Man I got my [language filter] handed to me quite a bit.  Broken ribs in the gorge, near drowning in the ocean, lost in mexico.  But on the flip side, uncrowded beaches and an incredible sense of community. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

much respect as windsurfing is NOT easy by any stretch of the imagination.  I was a COMPLETE kiteboard junkie, cost me a marriage, but I still say it was worth it.  I started kiting in 2003 and it was ridiculously dangerous.  Man I got my [language filter] handed to me quite a bit.  Broken ribs in the gorge, near drowning in the ocean, lost in mexico.  But on the flip side, uncrowded beaches and an incredible sense of community. 

I can relate.  I got addicted to windsurfing in high school while living in Michigan.  I'd sail through thunderstorms and tornado warnings, sail on partially frozen lakes, and in winter I'd mount my sail to an oversized skateboard and sail around shopping mall parking lots after midnight.  This obsession is why I dropped out of college and moved to the Gorge to get my fix.  I broke several bones in my foot and nearly drowned in 70 mph winds.  After 3 straight years of 200+ sailing days per year, I got bored with it and sick of being broke, so I moved to Portland and started my computer career.  Now I'm retired and haven't been on a board for over 15 years.  I'd take it up again, but I'm not interested in ending up in the hospital! 

• Like 1