Contaminated chaeto

7 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

I routinely trim back my chaeto every few weeks, but this time the chaeto has become contaminated with a lot of ugly green hair algae.  Should I toss it and start over with clean chaeto, or just trim off what I can?

I tried to save some by extracting the hair algae... lesson in frustration.  Should have just tossed it and started over sooner.  My 2-cents.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, albertareef said:

I tried to save some by extracting the hair algae... lesson in frustration.  Should have just tossed it and started over sooner.  My 2-cents.

That's sort of what I'm thinking.  

My only concern is how it will impact my pod population since my pipefish depend on them.  I'm sure there are enough pods in the display tank, but I've heard that the refugium is the best breeding ground.

1 minute ago, Manny Tavan said:

If you have no algae in the display I wouldn’t worry about it. Mine does that occasionally and eventually the chaeto outcompetes the algae. 

My display only has a couple small patches of bryopsis and bubble algae, but nothing like that hair algae on the chaeto.

22 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

That's sort of what I'm thinking.  

My only concern is how it will impact my pod population since my pipefish depend on them.  I'm sure there are enough pods in the display tank, but I've heard that the refugium is the best breeding ground.

I have found that my source for chaeto always comes with a nice collection of pod hitchhikers so I don't think that has been a problem for me.  I do agree that the refugium is the likeliest source of replenishment for the pod supply in my tank - the wrasses do a pretty good job of hunting down anything in the display.

• Like 1