WTB ecotech battery backup

Willapa

I was gonna order one tonight but figured I'd see if one was available. The power went out at the house today while I was at work and appeared to be off for a while. I used to have the luxury of my wife being home during the day to keep an eye on things but she's back at work now. This was just the nudge I needed to pull the trigger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a traditional UPS battery backup and have my Apex configured for power monitoring so it can selectively turn off specific outlets when the power is out.  This provides a lot more flexibility than the EcoTech or Icecap batteries since you can power any type of device on battery.  It's great to have the Apex send an alert so I know the power is out even when I'm not home.   (obviously you need your Internet router on battery power as well for the alerts to be sent)

I use a traditional UPS battery backup and have my Apex configured for power monitoring so it can selectively turn off specific outlets when the power is out.  This provides a lot more flexibility than the EcoTech or Icecap batteries since you can power any type of device on battery.  It's great to have the Apex send an alert so I know the power is out even when I'm not home.   (obviously you need your Internet router on battery power as well for the alerts to be sent)

Hmm, how many $200 Apex modules do you need to set that up?

2 minutes ago, Willapa said:

Hmm, how many $200 Apex modules do you need to set that up?

All you need is a $16 auxiliary power adapter:  https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/12v-power-supply-neptune-systems.html

You plug this adapter into a regular wall power outlet and attach it to the Apex head unit.  Then you plug your EnergyBar into the battery backup.  You can then program each outlet how to behave when the auxiliary power adapter loses power.

All you need is a $16 auxiliary power adapter:  https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/12v-power-supply-neptune-systems.html
You plug this adapter into a regular wall power outlet and attach it to the Apex head unit.  Then you plug your EnergyBar into the battery backup.  You can then program each outlet how to behave when the auxiliary power adapter loses power.

Woohoo, finally an Apex add on under $20! I'll give this some serious thought and may hit you up for some Apex programming examples. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Willapa said:

Woohoo, finally an Apex add on under $20! I'll give this some serious thought and may hit you up for some Apex programming examples. Thanks!

Since I recently helped someone else here set this up, I can just paste in the instructions for everyone:

1. Purchase this Apex 12V auxiliary power adapter: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/12v-power-supply-neptune-systems.html
  2. Plug your Apex Energy Bar into your UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) battery backup.
  3. Plug the new 12V power adapter into a regular wall power outlet and connect it to the Apex auxiliary power port.
    1468963464_ScreenShot2018-11-18at1_23_19PM.png.6d8571c3dd8f8c551b03ab3b242c3e9b.png
  4. In Apex Fusion, click the Apex menu, then click Misc near the bottom of the menu
  5. Under the Power section, set Monitor to Enabled, then save the settings to your Apex.
    584740368_ScreenShot2018-11-18at1_24_51PM.thumb.png.884baac06e0abd8a8d950f8d7e410187.png

Once these steps are done, you can configure various outlets on your Energy Bar to react when your house power goes out.  Here are some examples:

Turn off return pump:

Fallback ON
Set ON
If Power Apex Off 000 Then OFF

Turn off heater:

Fallback OFF
If Tmp < 78.0 Then ON
If Tmp > 78.0 Then OFF
If Power Apex Off 000 Then OFF

Turn on air pump:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Power Apex Off 000 Then ON

In general, you should only run the bare minimum devices on battery power.  Heaters, lights, and anything with powerful motors (like return pumps or skimmers) will drain the battery quickly, so they should be turned off.

If you want the Apex to send you alerts when the power is out, you will also need your Internet router connected to a battery backup.  In your Apex alert programming, add this as the final condition so it doesn't get overridden by any other alert conditions:

If Power Apex Off 000 Then ON

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1