Maintaining Nitrates, ugh

What the heck is consuming all the nitrates??!!

On the 8th of this month, trates were undetectable. So, I dosed 80ml of trates. Next day, trates were at 25ppm, which was my goal. Fast forward 8 days, which is today, trates are back to undetectable. Wutdaphu...Yes, I know corals need to eat but dayum! Do they need to eat that much, lol.

I was hoping trate levels would maintain for at least a month.

I guess that means, I must dose, which I was trying to avoid... So be it

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Algae and such also consume so if you are using that much and want to keep that high you need to continue dosing  till it reaches a saturation point then it will slow down 
So, I should continue dosing till it doesn't drop as fast? Will that be the saturation point? What if the saturation point is at 50ppm, I surely don't want that. Maybe, I'm not quite understanding what you mean, but I kinda do, in a sense. Thanks for the input, Brian

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Derbird said:

Why would you choose to does over just getting another fish to add to your bioload?

I am in the process of obtaining a couple more fishies in the upcoming week, but as Viper said, corals and algae are consuming much faster than what the fish can give back. Hopefully, with the new additions, next week, consumption will slow down. If not, I gotta dose.

1 hour ago, viper55 said:

No.... I just dose 5 ml per day and in about 2 weeks I hit saturation point to where I was no longer reading zero each test then I adjusted my dose to what I wanted. I wanted to be at 10 ppm and now dose 6 ml per day to stay there

Gotcha...

Totally understand now, thank you for the explanation!