Skimmer going ape chit

PowderBlue

So I snagged a RLSS from coralvue outlet and they shipped it like a 5 year old would and the skimmer was broken during shipping so for the mean time I grabbed a curve 5 from offer up for cheap. The previous owner vinegar bathed it and it looked brand new when I got it home. I tossed it in ro water just to rinse it and put in in the sump. It has been doing this for 24 hours... water depth doesn’t matter, amount or air coming in doesn’t matter much either. Anyone experienced this after a vinegar bath? I’ve done 100 percent vinegar on my old skimmers and never had one do this after. Usually about 2 minutes of crazy and then it settles down.

I can have it in 1 inch of water and it still foams like mad and overflows. Venturi is clean and no restrictions either. 36de28aa58856702747bbdc71e8fda0a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m wondering if it’s something in my tank. I did another freshwater rinse and ran it in a 5 gallon bucket of fresh salt in the garage and nothing, hits the tank and go bat ish crazy. I did dose 4ml of vodka over the past 2 days but I don’t think 4ml of vodka would cause this?

You could try pulling out the drain tube that you trun to adjust the water height. Then put the cup on kind of sideways so some of the water overflows and just the upper neck just starts to skim a little. Photo attached of what I mean by tipping the cup. Over a few days slowly straighten the cup as needed to keep skimming. Should pull what ever it is out slowly over a few days. Thats what I do after running chemi clean. 

image.jpg

• Like 1

You could try pulling out the drain tube that you trun to adjust the water height. Then put the cup on kind of sideways so some of the water overflows and just the upper neck just starts to skim a little. Photo attached of what I mean by tipping the cup. Over a few days slowly straighten the cup as needed to keep skimming. Should pull what ever it is out slowly over a few days. Thats what I do after running chemi clean. 
image.thumb.jpg.6b08ba9b78f96f66b4017f07a8ce343d.jpg

I’m going to do a water change and then try that! Thanks

• Like 1

Thinking it might be the vodka. I just let the skimmer run into a 5 gallon bucket, it “skimmed” about 3 gallons of water with a ton of foam and now it’s acting somewhat normal. But I’m assuming I’ll have to do this 3 or 4 times since it’s mainly pulling from the sump as I can only run the return pump for about 5 minutes of the 10 minute time it takes.

That’s my trick with crazy skimmers. Run the drain tube into a bucket. Whatever is breaking water tension will get out and then the skimmer will behave. Works everytime

Yes sir! After 10 gallons of the skimmer draining into buckets it made this today. So it is definitely getting better. Soon I’ll be able to adjust it to skim dry! de71d983140993abe56d348043e48749.jpg

• Like 2

Holy crap dude, how bad was the RLSS messed up? They refund you? I feel bad for the recommendation, mine just came in it’s OEM box and was fine in shipping. Glad you got the BubbleMag going though!

9d2821e37fe70cbd7a4b2872dffd08e5.jpg26d677938e2241fff17715f07ad8590d.jpg

Not your fault!! It would have been a killer deal if it wasn’t broken. I still appreciate it!

Yikes, they sending new parts or refund? If it was just the pinwheel it wouldn’t have been as big a deal...sheesh! Little more bubble wrap next time lol

Not quite sure yet, I’m assuming a refund but I haven’t heard back. Giving them some time though. Hoping I hear back by the end of the week.

My Curve 5 was the most moody skimmer I ever had. It took forever to break-in and had the overflowing foam forever too.  Every time I would clean it, I had to deal with it all over again. I switched to a Reef Octopus and never looked back. 
Glad you got it dialed back, just know that it may go back to being crazy at any time. 

• Like 1