Moving my tank

Zotalpha

So I’m moving (only about 10 miles) which means I have to move my reefer 350.

I should have a few days to get everything moved tank and everything else.

I have a couple of options

1- I have a spare 40 gallon all in one which I could set up in the new house then transfer rock and livestock. This would allow me to take my time but may be more stressful for livestock.

2 - move the tank and set it up as fast as I can...

Thoughts?

Thanks!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would setup the holding tank! I would suggest getting new drain and return fittings for the reefer just to be safe. I barely got mine sealed after I moved it I guess it common once they are taken off to leak.
Plus that will give you more time to play with aquascape and such if you wanted to. Being rushed sucks in this hobby it stresses me out at least to have to rush through a tank move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

This is how I did my move when I bought a house. Just 2 20 gallon nanos though. Bagged all coral and fish individually. Floated them in heated buckets of fresh saltwater. Paired clowns went in same bag. Took rock out and put in buckets. Siphoned water out of tanks into buckets with rock. Scooped out most sand for weight. Placed in buckets. Quickly moved one tank and it's livestock to new house and set up with 50% old water and all old sand. Set up rock work and coral as it was. Floated fish and acclimated. Dumped in biospira and fish. Repeat for second tank. Did not lose anything, not even a snail. I never even saw an ammonia, nitrite, nitrate difference through the next 2 weeks. I used 16 gallon barrels with lids to transport stuff with heated water to reduce temp drops. My move was about 5 miles or so. Was back breaking as we were 3rd floor of an apartment. I reused all sand, rock and 50+% water.

OMG I second a holding tank!! You always plan on doing it as quickly as possible but things happen and come up. It happened when we moved a few years ago and what I thought would only take three hours took almost twelve!! I recommend putting up a holding tank, just recently did this when I upgraded (what should have taken a weekend took almost two weeks) so that holding tank could save you!! I put a good chunk of filter floss in my filter socks the weeks before for the holding tank then when the day came I put my fish, corals, rocks with Coral in holding tank and the rest of my rock in 5 gallon buckets with powerheads and once I FINALLY got everything in it was a life saver! Everything made it. Make sure you have plenty of RODI water made and ready, heated all that stuff. Leaks may happen from things getting moved and bumped (one reason mine took longer) Good luck and just try to think of everything you can before, but definitely do the holding tank.

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I usually move stuff on same day I’ve done big tanks all in one day  having PRIME on hand helps in case you get ammonia spike. Just think out plan for worst and hope for best  have plenty of heated water and match your parameters.  The biggest issues I have come across is plumbing  so have glue couplers and pipe ready if needed 

• Like 1

Third option to look into.

I recently had a pretty serious flood in my house and my tank had to be moved twice while my house was remodeled.  Insurance paid for it to be moved. I found a local company Classic Aquariums Inc.  they did an outstanding job.  I dont know what they charge to move from one house to another but it maybe something to look into. 

I think most would rather do it themselves and if you have the time I would as well, but we were in a time crunch to start the remodel so I went with this option and was very pleased. Steve and his sons were very professional and did a great job.  Not a plug for them or anything, I just had no idea this was even an option until I looked into it.

• Like 1