Manny Tavan

My new hippo tang is a psychopath

Posted (edited)

This yellow belly hippo has been in the display for two days and started ravaging my corals frags. Came home from work with all my sps frags all over the tank. I watched the tank for a while and then witnessed that tang picking up a frag with its mouth and dropping into the acan on the other side of the tank. How crazy is that. I have a bunch of dead frags now. 

F35143F3-DB7F-4C24-BB1C-4A8851279963.jpeg

Edited by Manny Tavan
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I had a bristletooth tang who did that.  He wanted to play with anything white or shiny ie frag plugs.

I ended up throwing a fishing bobber in there and he went nuts, but left my frags alone.  I miss my fangs =]

• Like 2

Had a blue hippo that ate high end zoas. Made a water bottle fish trap, used some zoas as bait, caught the b!tch, banished to the sump for 2 months, brought it to OIAB for credit, it sold 30 minutes later to an elderly lady with a FOWLR tank.

Never buying Dory, again, lol

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

So you guys think it won’t stop that behavior? Should I just move it out and move on? It’s only been in the tank for two days 

So you guys think it won’t stop that behavior? Should I just move it out and move on? It’s only been in the tank for two days 
Depends on how deep your pockets are, lol. Unless you want to continue losing frags, I'd move it...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Doesn’t look like he’s eating corals. He just relocates them but somehow manages to drop them in the big acan. Maybe if I glue the frags down he won’t try to move them lol

Edited by Manny Tavan

Doesn’t look like he’s eating corals. He just relocates them but somehow manages to drop them in the big acan. Maybe if I glue the frags down he won’t try to move them lol
That's actually what I meant...

Yeah, glue'em down

• Like 1

Mine did something similar, not quite as extreme as yours lol but would get excited after feeding still searching for food in and on the rocks and would start tossing frags around. I just glued down anything that wasn't already glued and it was taken care of. Hopefully you will have the same luck!

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

I've only had one tang, a small purple, that didn't cause problems.  I don't even keep them anymore because of how much trouble I've had with them in general.

Came home to frags ripped off despite being glued on. So I guess I’m going to have to figure out a way to get this fish out of there

744F040B-0453-47C9-81D5-3F474E604219.jpeg

4D21B0B7-6464-4171-8391-2917B974619A.jpeg

9CB17603-CD4B-4221-98F1-3C8B4D52F810.jpeg

• Sad 1

wasn't too bad getting it out. I was about to give up after 2-3 minutes cause it was hiding behind the rocks but all of a sudden it went into a corner and it was easy to net it at that point. Back to the store it went 😃  bye bye Dory!

• Like 2