Back after long hiatus

Robblevins

Hey reefers I've been out of the hobby for over 15 years and now back in. It's one of those hobbies that's always been in the forefront but I've had to sacrifice a lot of time and energy in the last do many years raising kids and now grandkids. Anyways glad to be back in the hobby. Scored a great deal on my 60 gal. Cube with stand and rodi 5 stage filter plus heater, power heads and other equipment from a local reefer in pdx. Got a somatic 60 sump and the somatic 60 skimmer which is a great match for this setup. First nice score was from cuttlefish in the form of a mated pair of true perc clowns that I just love! Most beautiful pair of clowns I've ever seen. 

IMG_20190405_173139_394.jpg

• Like 11

4 hours ago, shaywood said:

Technology has really improved.  Read up on new options. 

KISS is a proven method for me. No need for multi hundred dollar Neptune controller here. Rather spend the dough on corals and fish which have also skyrocketed I've noticed. 

Welcome back!  Lots of returning reefers on here these days (I took about 7 or 8 years off myself).  Definitely interesting to see the changes in husbandry and livestock over that course of time.  Things that were just starting to show up and were "hot" items have been replaced by new ones and plenty of tech has been introduced into the hobby.  Those clowns are particularly nice BTW.

On 4/9/2019 at 12:17 PM, Robblevins said:

KISS is a proven method for me. No need for multi hundred dollar Neptune controller here. Rather spend the dough on corals and fish which have also skyrocketed I've noticed. 

Welcome back ! I’m currently tankless now but live vicariously through my grandkids tank. 

I’m not sure how KISS is going to help you unless you like to rock and roll all night and party everyday.🤔

338D32CE-6426-4C6D-9E41-C534D47527F4.jpegJust kidding lol! I also like simplicity !

Edited by Emerald525
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Emerald525 said:

Welcome back ! I’m currently tankless now but live vicariously through my grandkids tank. 

I’m not sure how KISS is going to help you unless you like to rock and roll all night and party everyday.🤔

338D32CE-6426-4C6D-9E41-C534D47527F4.jpegJust kidding lol! I also like simplicity !

I mean I love tech gadgets as much as the next guy but their comes a point where laziness is trumping performing simple daily tasks.

13 hours ago, Robblevins said:

I mean I love tech gadgets as much as the next guy but their comes a point where laziness is trumping performing simple daily tasks.

I actually don’t love tech gadgets because then they can break or fail . They are great for making life easier but you’re never going to accidentally dump a weeks worth of alk into your tank like a doser 

5 hours ago, Emerald525 said:

I actually don’t love tech gadgets because then they can break or fail . They are great for making life easier but you’re never going to accidentally dump a weeks worth of alk into your tank like a doser 

Hey now... never say never 😀We have recently had accidental double IPA dosing so you just never know for sure...

• Haha 2

Wow, its nice to see so many people getting back into the hobby. I have never thought i would get into forum or club or anything as such. Im not sure one even existed 8 to 10 years ago when i took a break. Much has changed and im lovin it. My current build is a 65H glass tank for my daughters birthday, fish only tank turned reef....shhhh (she thinks its hers).  I put a hang on the back skimmer and filter on it as well as a 300w chinese led box light. Well from there ive added a doser and 3 wave makers. My old 140gal is still out in the garage and im seriously thinking about bringing it back to life. Anyhow, im glad to see such a large community of local reefers. Peace.

• Like 2